Publishing is the process of production and dissemination of literature, music, or information — the activity of making information available to general public. In some cases, authors may be their own publishers, meaning: originators and developers of content also provide media to deliver and display the content for the same. Also, the word publisher can refer to the individual who leads a publishing company or imprint or to a person who owns a magazine.
Traditionally, the term refers to the distribution of printed works such as books (the "book trade") and newspapers. With the advent of digital information systems and the Internet, the scope of publishing has expanded to include electronic resources, such as the electronic versions of books and periodicals, as well as micropublishing, websites, blogs, video game publishers and the like.
Publishing includes the stages of the development, acquisition, copyediting, graphic design, production – printing (and its electronic equivalents), and marketing and distribution of newspapers, magazines, books, literary works, musical works, software and other works dealing with information, including the electronic media.
Publication is also important as a legal concept:
- As the process of giving formal notice to the world of a significant intention, for example, to marry or enter bankruptcy;
- As the essential precondition of being able to claim defamation; that is, the alleged libel must have been published, and
- For copyright purposes, where there is a difference in the protection of published and unpublished works.
There are three different categories in which publication house can be divided
- Non-Paid Publishers : The term non paid publisher refers to those publication houses which does not charge author at all to publish the book.
- Semi Paid Publishers : Publication houses that charges partially to the author in order to meet the expenses of the book. Author has full right to claim 50% of the copies printed in case if author has met with the burden of paying 50% of the total amount to get the books published.
- Paid Publishers : These days paid publication has become very common, here the author has to meet with the total expense to get the book published and author has full right to set up marketing policies.
Read more about Publishing: The Process of Publishing, Publishing As A Business, Recent Developments, Standardization, Legal Issues, Privishing
Famous quotes containing the word publishing:
“While you continue to grow fatter and richer publishing your nauseating confectionery, I shall become a mole, digging here, rooting there, stirring up the whole rotten mess where life is hard, raw and ugly.”
—Norman Reilly Raine (18951971)