Independent or The Independents may refer to:
- Independent bookstore, bookstore that is not part of a chain
- Independent business, privately-owned companies
- Independent city, city that does not form part of another local government entity
- Independent clothes store, boutique not associated with the larger retailers
- Independent contractor, organisation or individual which provides goods or services under terms specified in a contract
- Independent living, philosophy of working for self-determination, self-respect and equal opportunities
- Independent (politician), not affiliated with any political party
- Independent publisher, small press not associated with a major publisher
- Independent (religion), group active during the English Civil War
- Independent school, school which is not dependent upon national or local government for financing its operation
- Independent sources, in journalism, two or more sources which attest to a given piece of information
- Independent Truck Company, American skateboarding brand
- Dependent and independent verb forms in Goidelic languages
- Independent (voter), not a member of any political party
- Vickers A1E1 Independent, British multi-turreted tank designed during the Interwar period
- Dependent and independent variables
Other articles related to "independent":
... The independent film scene's development in the 1990s and 2000s has been stimulated by a range of factors, including the development of affordable ... the cost of professional film equipment and stock was a major obstacle to independent filmmakers who wanted to make their own films ... Even 3-D technology is available to low-budget, independent filmmakers now ...
... or NAIA athletic conference, including NCAA Division I FBS independent schools, for football NCAA Division I FCS independent schools, for football NCAA Division ...
... filmmakers to Utah and showcase what the potential of independent film could be ... discussions however it also included a small program of new independent films ... the same year that United Artists, bought out by MGM, ceased to exist as a venue for independent filmmakers, Sterling Van Wagenen left the film ...
... can also refer to Institute for Learning Practitioners Independent Labour Party in the United Kingdom ... Intelligence-led policing Independent Living Program a program for foster and probation youth who were in out-of-home placement at the age of 16, the program teach youth skills ... Independent Living Program a Veteran Affairs program aimed at making sure that each eligible veteran is able to live independently ...
... The 2005 Independent Spirit Awards, honoring the best in independent filmmaking for 2005, were announced on March 4, 2006 ...
Famous quotes containing the word independent:
“It is so rare to meet with a man outdoors who cherishes a worthy thought in his mind, which is independent of the labor of his hands. Behind every mans busy-ness there should be a level of undisturbed serenity and industry, as within the reef encircling a coral isle there is always an expanse of still water, where the depositions are going on which will finally raise it above the surface.”
—Henry David Thoreau (18171862)
“When the object is perceived as particular and unique and not merely the member of a family, when it appears independent of any general notion and detached from the sanity of a cause, isolated and inexplicable in the light of ignorance, then and only then may it be a source of enchantment.”
—Samuel Beckett (19061989)
“We are independent of the change we detect. The longer the lever, the less perceptible its motion. It is the slowest pulsation which is the most vital. The hero then will know how to wait, as well as to make haste. All good abides with him who waiteth wisely; we shall sooner overtake the dawn by remaining here than by hurrying over the hills of the west.”
—Henry David Thoreau (18171862)