Overlap may mean one of:
- In music theory, overlap is a synonym for reinterpretation of a chord at the boundary of two musical phrases.
- In railway signalling, an Overlap (railway signalling) is the length of track beyond a stop signal that is proved to be clear of vehicles in the controls of the previous signal, as a safety margin.
- Overlap (road), a place where multiple road numbers overlap.
- Overlap add, an efficient convolution method using FFT.
- Overlap coefficient, a similarity measure between sets.
- Orbital overlap, important concept in quantum mechanics describing a type of orbital interaction. Overlap in molecules affects bond strength.
Famous quotes containing the word overlap:
“A lady is nothing very specific. One mans lady is another mans woman; sometimes, one mans lady is another mans wife. Definitions overlap but they almost never coincide.”
—Russell Lynes (b. 1910)