The name Kay (/kay/) is found both as a surname (see Kay (surname)) and as a given name. In English-speaking countries, it is usually a female name, often a short form of Katherine or one of its variants; but, it is also used as a first name in its own right, and (more often in non-English speakers) as a boy's name (for example in India). The alternative spelling of Kaye is encountered as a surname, but also occasionally as a given name; for instance, actress Kaye Ballard.
A dynasty name:
- Gakhars therefore use the ancient royal Persian title "Kay or "Kayani as did the Sassanian aristocracy as they claim connection with the semi-mythological Kayani Kings of ancient Iran.
A female first name:
- Kay Bailey Hutchison, the senior United States Senator from Texas
- Kay Boutilier, better known by her stage name My Name is Kay is a Canadian singer-songwriter
- Kay Elson, Australian Liberal Party politician
- Kay Hull, Australian Liberal Party politician
- Kay Hagan, the junior United States Senator from North Carolina
- Kay Kendall, British actress
- Kay A. Orr, United States Republican Party politician
- Kay Panabaker, an actress
- Kay Redfield Jamison, American professor of psychiatry and writer who is an expert on bipolar disorder
- Kay Parker, porn actress
- Kay Tse, a popular singer from Hong Kong
A male first name (see also Kai (name)):
- Kay van Dijk, Dutch volleyball player
- Kay Pollak, Swedish film director
The name of a fictional character:
- Agent K, a character in the Men In Black film series and animated series
- Kay Adams-Corleone, a character in Mario Puzo's The Godfather.
- Sir Kay, character from Arthurian legend
- Kay Harker, character from the book The Box of Delights by John Masefield.
- Kay, a protagonist in the video game Legend of Kay.
- Kay, also spelled Kai, a character in Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tale The Snow Queen
- Kay, a character in the Vertigo comic series Fables.
- Kay Faraday, a character in the Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
A brand name or pseudonym:
- Kay Musical Instrument Company, a musical instrument manufacturer that produced guitars, double basses, and other instruments
- DJ Kayslay, the ringmaster of the new hip-hop rivalries
- Kay Jewelers, a fine jewelry store chain in the United States
- Mary Kay, a brand of skin care and color cosmetics in USA
Kay may also be:
- the surname Kay
- a nickname / short version of a name
- K, the eleventh letter in the Latin alphabet
- 'kay, short for okay, a term of approval or assent
- an epithet for a ruler of the mythological Kayanian dynasty
- Kay, an album by John Wesley Ryles, or its title track, "Kay" (song)
Famous quotes containing the word kay:
“I became the Incredible Shrinking Mother the year they started junior high. If our relationship today depended on physical clout, I would have about the same influence with them that the republic of Liechtenstein has on world politics.”
—Mary Kay Blakely (20th century)
“... self-determination and self-defense go hand in hand.”
—Anonymous, U.S. woman. As quoted in Fugitive Information, ch. 8, by Kay Leigh Hagan (1993)
“It takes twenty or so years before a mother can know with any certainty how effective her theories have beenand even then there are surprises. The daily newspapers raise the most frightening questions of all for a mother of sons: Could my once sweet babes ever become violent men? Are my sons really who I think they are?”
—Mary Kay Blakely (20th century)