Common propellant combinations used for liquid propellant rockets include:
- Red fuming nitric acid (RFNA) and kerosene or RP-1
- RFNA and Unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine (UDMH)
- Dinitrogen tetroxide and UDMH, MMH, and/or hydrazine
- Liquid oxygen and kerosene or RP-1
- Liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen
- Liquid oxygen and ethanol
- Hydrogen peroxide and alcohol or RP-1
- Chlorine pentafluoride and hydrazine
Common monopropellant used for liquid rocket engines include:
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Red fuming nitric acid (RFNA)
In rockets, three main liquid bi propellant combinations are used
- cryogenic hydrogen oxygen combination system - Used in upper stages and sometimes in booster stages of space launch systems.This is a nontoxic combination. This gives high specific impulse and is ideal for high velocity missions
- liquid oxygen hydrocarbon propellant system - Used for booster stages of space launch vehicles. It has high density and hence allows for a more compact booster design
- storable propellant combinations - used in large rocket engines for first and second stages of ballistic missiles and in almost all bi propellant low-thrust, auxiliary or reaction control rocket engines. They are instant starting and suitable for long-term storage
Other articles related to "liquid propellant, propellant, liquid, propellants, liquids":
... rocket consists of a pressure vessel (tank) containing the liquid propellant, the combustion chamber containing the solid propellant, and a valve isolating the two ... The liquid propellant (or gas) flows into the combustion chamber where it is vaporized and then reacted with the solid propellant ... in a boundary layer diffusion flame adjacent to the surface of the solid propellant ...
... Stage 1 uses two LR87 liquid propellant engines ... Stage 2 uses one LR91 liquid propellant engine ... Stage 3 uses two Aerojet AJ-10-138 liquid propellant engines ...
... A liquid-propellant rocket or a liquid rocket is a rocket engine that uses propellants in liquid form ... Liquids are desirable because their reasonably high density allows the volume of the propellant tanks to be relatively low, and it is possible to use lightweight pumps to pump the propellant from the tanks ... This permits the use of low mass propellant tanks, permitting a high mass ratio for the rocket ...
... China, the first Soviet built R-2 rocket fueled with Chinese-made propellant was launched with success on September 10, 1960 ... A first liquid-propellant DF-3 medium-range ballistic missile was successfully launched from the Northern Missile Test Site on December 18, 1968, inaugurating the test site ... The all-liquid two-stage launcher was derived from the DF-5 ICBM ...
Famous quotes containing the word liquid:
“What slender Youth bedewd with liquid odours
Courts thee on Roses in some pleasant Cave,”
—Horace [Quintus Horatius Flaccus] (658)