Event can refer to many things such as:
- An observable occurrence, phenomenon or an extraordinary occurrence
A type of gathering:
- A ceremony, for example, a marriage
- A competition, for example, a sports competition
- A convention (meeting), also known as a conference
- A happening, a performance or situation meant to be considered as art
- A festival, for example, a musical event
- A media event, a happening that attracts coverage by mass media
- A party (including internal business function or staff party)
- A sporting event
- A corporate or business function, a profit driven event meant to raise awareness of a company's brand and/or products & services.
In science, technology, and mathematics:
- Event (computing), a software message indicating that something has happened, such as a keystroke or mouse click
- Event (synchronization primitive), a type of synchronization mechanism.
- Event, Particle accelerator, experiments which produce high energy (Electron volt|MeV, GeV, and TeV) subatomic particle collisions
- Event (probability theory), a set of outcomes to which a probability is assigned
- Event (UML), in Unified Modeling Language, a notable occurrence at a particular point in time
- Event chain methodology, in project management
- Event (relativity), a point in space at an instant in time, i.e. a location in spacetime
- Event horizon, a boundary in spacetime, typically surrounding a black hole, beyond which events cannot affect an exterior observer
- Extinction event, a sharp decrease in the number of species in a short period of time
- Celestial event, an astronomical phenomenon of interest
- Event (philosophy), an object in time, or an instantiation of a property in an object
- Mental event, something that happens in the mind, such as a thought
- Grouped Events, the experience of two or more events that occur in sequence or concurrently that can be subsequently categorized
In Film, television, theatre and literature:
- The Event, an American conspiracy thriller television series for NBC
- The Event (film), 2003 film directed by Thom Fitzgerald
- Derren Brown: The Events.
- Event, a literary magazine published by Douglas College
Other articles related to "event, events":
... A limited edition €10 coin was produced for the event by the German government, which was only the third occasion that they had done so for a sporting event ... The colour scheme of the event, including the official logo, advertising, and the Olympiastadion's track and field, was blue and green ... The committee stated that blue represented reliability while green represented the event's environmental ambitions ...
... In 1991, she became the first Indonesian player to win a major professional tennis event when she captured the singles titles at Pattaya ... Her best result in doubles competition at a Grand Slam event was in the 1993 US Open, where she and partner Nana Miyagi reached the semifinals ... She won the $10k event at Bangkok in Thailand, in June with Indonesian-born Australian Tiffany Welford ...
... The event is considered to be weak, by the standards of Hadith authentication ... This is because of the problems with the chain of narrators of the events ... Ibn Kathir, in his famous Quranic exegesis, says the following, with regards to the event ...
... For Life - Cancer fight fund-raising event from all walks of life, including patients, medical support staff, local businesses, friends, families, corporations, civic ... This yearly event is held at Person High School Stadium in late September ... Flat River Antique Engine and Tractor Show - This two-day event attracts many exhibitors and visitors with demonstrations and displays based on the rich agricultural heritage of Person County ...
... the XV Asiad, is Asia's Olympic-style sporting event that was held in Doha, Qatar from December 1 to December 15, 2006 ... There were 46 disciplines from 39 events scheduled to be contested ... It was the first time that all 45 member nations of the Olympic Council of Asia took part in this event ...
Famous quotes containing the word event:
“No great inner event befalls those who summon it not.”
—Maurice Maeterlinck (18621949)
“When we awoke, we found a heavy dew on our blankets. I lay awake very early, and listened to the clear, shrill ah, te te, te te, te of the white-throated sparrow, repeated at short intervals, without the least variation, for half an hour, as if it could not enough express its happiness. Whether my companions heard it or not, I know not, but it was a kind of matins to me, and the event of the forenoon.”
—Henry David Thoreau (18171862)
“There is nothing that I shudder at more than the idea of a separation of the Union. Should such an event ever happen, which I fervently pray God to avert, from that date I view our liberty gone.”
—Andrew Jackson (17671845)