A prize is an award to be given to a person or a group of people to recognise and reward actions or achievements. Official prizes often involve monetary rewards as well as the fame that comes with them. Some prizes are also associated with extravagant awarding ceremonies, such as the Academy Awards.
Prizes are also given to publicize noteworthy or exemplary behaviour, and to provide incentives for improved outcomes and competitive efforts. In general, prizes are regarded in a positive light, and their winners are admired. However, many prizes, especially the more famous ones, have often caused controversy and jealousy.
Specific types of prizes include:
- Booby prize: typically awarded as a joke or insult to whoever finished last (e.g., wooden spoon (award)).
- consolation prize: an award given to those who do not win.
- Hierarchical prizes, where the best award is "first prize", "grand prize", or "gold medal". Subordinate awards are "second prize", "third prize", etc., or "first runner-up" and "second runner-up", etc., or "silver medal" and "bronze medal". (In some contests, "grand prize" is more desirable than "first prize".)
- On game shows in the UK, the term is "star prize", while in Australia, it is "major prize".
- Purchase prize or acquisition prize: a monetary prize given in an art competition in exchange for the winning work.
Famous quotes containing the word prize:
“Knowing I loved my books, he furnished me
From mine own library with volumes that
I prize above my dukedom.”
—William Shakespeare (15641616)
“To become a token womanwhether you win the Nobel Prize or merely get tenure at the cost of denying your sistersis to become something less than a man ... since men are loyal at least to their own world-view, their laws of brotherhood and self-interest.”
—Adrienne Rich (b. 1929)
“He saw, he wishd, and to the prize aspird.
Resolvd to win, he meditates the way,
By force to ravish, or by fraud betray;
For when success a lovers toil attends,
Few ask, if fraud or force attaind his ends.”
—Alexander Pope (16881744)