Documentation is a term with many meanings, the most common of which are:
- A set of documents provided on paper, or online, or on digital or analog media, such as audio tape or CDs.
- The process of documenting knowledge, as in scientific articles.
- The process of providing evidence.
- The writing of product documentation, such as software documentation.
- A synonym for the term document.
- A synonym for the term bibliography.
- A field of study and a profession founded by Paul Otlet (1868-1944) and Henri La Fontaine (1854-1945), which is also termed documentation science. Professionals educated in this field are termed documentalists. This field changed its name to information science in 1968, but some uses of the term documentation still exists and there have been efforts to reintroduce the term documentation as a field of study.