There are six "groups" into which dives are classified: Forward, Back, Inward, Reverse, Twist, and Armstand. The latter applies only to Platform competitions, whereas the other five apply to both Springboard and Platform.
- in the Forward Group (Group 1), the diver takes off facing forward and rotates forward
- in the Back Group (2), the diver takes off with their back to the water and rotates backward
- in the Reverse Group (3), the diver takes off facing forward and rotates backward
- in the Inward Group (4), the diver takes off with their back to the water and rotates forward
- any dive incorporating an axial twisting movement is in the Twist group (5).
- any dive commencing from a handstand is in the Armstand group (6). (Only on platform)
Read more about this topic: Diving
Famous quotes containing the words dive and/or groups:
“I have no time to read newspapers. If you chance to live and move and have your being in that thin stratum in which the events which make the news transpirethinner than the paper on which it is printedthen these things will fill the world for you; but if you soar above or dive below that plane, you cannot remember nor be reminded of them.”
—Henry David Thoreau (18171862)
“Women over fifty already form one of the largest groups in the population structure of the western world. As long as they like themselves, they will not be an oppressed minority. In order to like themselves they must reject trivialization by others of who and what they are. A grown woman should not have to masquerade as a girl in order to remain in the land of the living.”
—Germaine Greer (b. 1939)