Call may refer to:
- A type of betting in poker
- Animal communication, a song or noise made by an animal such as:
- Bird call, part of a bird song
- A command in square dancing, delivered by a caller
- Call option, a term in stock trading
- Call on shares, a request for a further payment on partly paid share capital
- A shell command in DOS, OS/2 and Microsoft Windows command-line interpreters
- System call, in computer science, the mechanism used by an application program to request service from the operating system or another application program
- A method of starting a Subroutine
- Any bid, pass, double, or redouble made in the bidding stage of contract bridge
Other articles related to "called":
... a loss of game, unless one was hooked (snookered) by one's opponent (even then, if a pocket is called for the 8, as opposed to "just a shot", i.e ... object balls, are generally considered legal shots in informal games, as long as they are called as split shots, and the hit is in fact simultaneous to the human eye ... peccadillo is that a shot is a visit-ending (but not ball-in-hand) foul if one pockets one's called shot but also pockets another ball incidentally, even if it is one's ...
... In the UK and in US mechanical engineering, this is called moment of force shortened usually to moment ... momentum of the object (the concept which in physics is called torque) ... such as a drill bit accelerating from rest, the resulting moment is called a torque ...
... plan that identifies work to be accomplished, a valuation of planned work, called Planned Value (PV) or Budgeted Cost of Work Scheduled (BCWS), and ...
... the school of Valentinus as he legomene gnostike haeresis "the heresy called Learned (gnostic)" ... of Irenaeus' work On the Detection and Overthrow of Knowledge Falsely So Called, (Greek elenchos kai anatrope tes pseudonymou gnoseos genitive case ...
... Gylfaginning as one of the halls of Asgard "Then there is also in that place the abode called Breidablik, and there is not in heaven a fairer dwelling." Later in the work ...
Famous quotes containing the word called:
“If anyone should want to know my name, I am called Leah. And I spend all my time weaving garlands of flowers with my fair hands, to please me when I stand before the mirror; my sister Rachel sits all the day long before her own, and never moves away. She loves to contemplate her lovely eyes; I love to use my hands to adorn myself: her joy is in reflection, mine in act.”
—Dante Alighieri (12651321)
“Max Detweiler: I get a fiendish delight thinking of you as the mother of seven. How do you plan to do it?
The Baroness: Darling, havent you heard of a delightful little thing called boarding school?”
—Ernest Lehman (b. 1920)
“A culture may be conceived as a network of beliefs and purposes in which any string in the net pulls and is pulled by the others, thus perpetually changing the configuration of the whole. If the cultural element called morals takes on a new shape, we must ask what other strings have pulled it out of line. It cannot be one solitary string, nor even the strings nearby, for the network is three-dimensional at least.”
—Jacques Barzun (b. 1907)