Awards and Honors
- 1978: National Book Critics Circle Award for On Photography
- 1990: MacArthur Fellowship
- 1992: Malaparte Prize, Italy
- 1999: Commandeur de l'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres, France
- 2000: National Book Award for In America
- 2001: Was awarded the Jerusalem Prize, which is awarded every two years to a writer whose work explores the freedom of the individual in society.
- 2002: Received her second George Polk Award, for Cultural Criticism for "Looking at War," in The New Yorker
- 2003: Received the Peace Prize of the German Book Trade (Friedenspreis des deutschen Buchhandels) during the Frankfurt Book Fair (Frankfurter Buchmesse).
- 2003: Won the Prince of Asturias Award on Literature.
- 2004: Two days after her death, the mayor of Sarajevo announced the city would name a street after her, calling her an "author and a humanist who actively participated in the creation of the history of Sarajevo and Bosnia." An initiative by Sarajevo Mayor Muhidin Hamamdzic to pay tribute to Susan Sontag, who has died recently, by renaming Theatre Square outside the National Theatre Susan Sontag Theatre Square, was accepted on Thursday (27 January) at a session of the Sarajevo City Council. It took long 5 years for that to become official, since nationalist political parties ignored that promise. On March 30, 2009, it was officially announced that Theater Square in front of National Theater in Sarajevo will get the name of Susan Sontag. On January 13, 2010, the city of Sarajevo posted a plate with a new street name for Theater Square: Theater Square of Susan Sontag.
Read more about this topic: Susan Sontag
Other articles related to "awards, award, awards and honors":
... began partnering with the 90-year-old Scholastic Art Writing Awards in the Future New category ... For this branch of the Scholastic Awards, students will be challenged to express bold and innovative ideas using new technologies ... software to facilitate their creations and will award three winners with a $1000 scholarship ...
2002 – Teen Choice Awards – TV – Choice Breakout Star, Female (The Osbournes) – Won 2003 – Teen Choice Awards – Favorite TV Personality – Nominated 2003 – Teen ...
... John W ... Campbell Award for Best New Writer of 2000 or 2001 Kristine Smith ...
... During its time, The A-Team was nominated for 3 Emmy Awards In 1983 (Outstanding Film Sound Mixing for a Series) for the pilot episode, in 1984 (Outstanding ...
... The EMI recording of Massenet's Manon with Gheorghiu in the title role won the 2001 Gramophone Award for "Best Opera Recording", was nominated for "Best ... Raimondi in the title roles brought her the Deutscher Schallplattenpreis award in 2002 ... She also won Diapason d'Or Awards, Choc du Monde de la Musique in France, Cecilia Prize in Belgium, the Echo Award, the Italian Musica e dischi, Foreign Lyric Production Award, the ...
Famous quotes containing the word honors:
“My hearts subdued
Even to the very quality of my lord.
I saw Othellos visage in his mind,
And to his honors and his valiant parts
Did I my soul and fortunes consecrate.”
—William Shakespeare (15641616)