A role (from the French rôle, and sometimes so spelt in English) or social role is a set of connected behaviours, rights and obligations as conceptualised by actors in a social situation. It is an expected or free or continuously changing behaviour and may have a given individual social status or social position. It is vital to both functionalist and interactionist understandings of society. Social role posits the following about social behaviour:
- The division of labour in society takes the form of the interaction among heterogeneous specialised positions, we call roles.
- Social roles included appropriate and permitted forms of behaviour, guided by social norms, which are commonly known and hence determine the expectations for appropriate behaviour in these roles.
- Roles are occupied by individuals, who are called actors.
- When individuals approve of a social role (i.e., they consider the role legitimate and constructive), they will incur costs to conform to role norms, and will also incur costs to punish those who violate role norms.
- Changed conditions can render a social role outdated or illegitimate, in which case social pressures are likely to lead to role change.
- The anticipation of rewards and punishments, as well as the satisfaction of behaving prosocially, account for why agents conform to role requirements.
Other articles related to "role":
... In June she gets a support role in a movie and shoots a small role in the 2011 film Without Men ... January 2011 Xenia finishes shooting a role as a rockstar in the French cinema production Bob et Les Sex Pistaches starring the French actor Jules Sitruk ...
... The proteasome plays a straightforward but critical role in the function of the adaptive immune system ... the 11S regulatory particle, whose main known biological role is regulating the production of MHC ligands, and specialized β subunits called β1i, β2i, and β5i with altered substrate specificity ... Due to its role in generating the activated form of NF-κB, an anti-apoptotic and pro-inflammatory regulator of cytokine expression, proteasomal activity has been ...
... The Squadron took the role from 707 NAS which was responsible for the training of aircrew and maintainers in the Commando role ...
... Film Year Film Role Notes 1992 Secrets Didi 2004 The Porter Bunny Stigler Short film 2007 White Diamond A Personal Portrait of Kylie Minogue Herself Documentary film Television Year Title Role Notes 1978 ...
... The primary role of the squadron is in supporting Royal Marine Commando troops in amphibious assaults ...
Famous quotes containing the word role:
“Nothing is ever simple. What do you do when you discover you like parts of the role youre trying to escape?”
—Marilyn French (b. 1929)
“What is charm then? The free giving of a grace, the spending of something given by nature in her role of spendthrift ... something extra, superfluous, unnecessary, essentially a power thrown away.”
—Doris Lessing (b. 1919)
“Whether or not you have children yourself, you are a parent to the next generation. If we can only stop thinking of children as individual property and think of them as the next generation, then we can realize we all have a role to play.”
—Charlotte Davis Kasl (20th century)