Motion may refer to:
- Motion (physics), any movement or change in position or time
- Motion (legal), a procedural device in law to bring a limited, contested matter before a court
- Motion (democracy), a formal step to introduce a matter for consideration by a group
- Motion (parliamentary procedure), a formal proposal by a member of a deliberative assembly that the assembly take certain action
- Motion (American football), a movement by an offensive player prior to the start of a play
- Motion (geometry), a type of transformation in various geometrical studies
- Motion, the connecting rods and valve-gear of a steam locomotive
Other articles related to "motion":
... Toland influenced Baron d'Holbach's ideas about physical motion ... his Letters to Serena, Toland claimed that rest, or absence of motion, is not merely relative ... for Toland, rest is a special case of motion ...
1974, and was the last major American motion picture to be printed with Technicolor's dye imbibition process until the late 1990s and was the last major American motion ... discusses his decision to make this the first major motion picture to use "Part II" in its title in the director's commentary on the DVD edition of the ...
... and a supporter of Militant Tendency, moved a motion on 2 October which demanded "that the Government immediately cease intervening in wage negotiations" ... Despite a plea not to put the motion to the vote from Michael Foot, the resolution was carried by 4,017,000 to 1,924,000 ... agreeing to abstain that the government defeated a motion of no confidence by 312 to 300 on 9 November ...
... was a geometric model used to explain the variations in speed and direction of the apparent motion of the Moon, Sun, and planets ... In particular it explained the retrograde motion of the five planets known at the time ... Epicyclical motion is used in the Antikythera Mechanism, an ancient Greek astronomical device for computing the phase and position of the Moon using four gears, two of them ...
... awards in the same year Sigourney Weaver (1989) Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama, Gorillas in the Mist The Story of Dian Fossey Best Supporting Actress in a Motion ...
Famous quotes containing the word motion:
“I dunno what my 23 infantile years in America signify. I left as soon as motion was autarchicI mean my motion.”
—Ezra Pound (18851972)
“... The festival-colored brightness
That is their motion ...”
—Gwendolyn Brooks (b. 1917)
“till disproportiond sin
Jarrd against natures chime, and with harsh din
Broke the fair musick that all creatures made
To their great Lord, whose love their motion swayd
In perfect Diapason, whilst they stood
In first obedience, and their state of good.”
—John Milton (16081674)