Riding is a homonym of two distinct English words:
From the word ride:
- Equestrianism, riding a horse
- Riding animal, an animal bred or trained for riding
- Ridin', a song by Chamillionaire
From Old English *þriðing:
- Riding (country subdivision), an administrative division of a county, or similar district
- Electoral district (Canada), a Canadian term for an electoral district
- Riding association, Canadian political party organization at the riding level
- Riding officer, a name once used for customs officials who patrolled for smugglers on beaches and other informal landing spots
- Common Riding, an event celebrated in some Scottish towns to commemorate the guarding the boundaries of the town's common land by local men
It may also refer to:
- Douglas Riding, Australian air marshal
- Joanna Riding, English actress
Other articles related to "riding, ridings":
... The 2010 boundary redistribution saw the riding cut down in size ... was transferred to the Livingstone-Macleod riding ... A portion of land in the north east was also transferred to the Little Bow riding ...
... Its official name was "West Kootenay (south riding)" ... It was formed from the division of the older Kootenay riding, one of the province's first twelve constituencies, which for the 1890 election was ...
... The East Riding of Yorkshire is a local government district with unitary authority status, and is a ceremonial county of England ... It is named after the historic East Riding of Yorkshire which was one of three ridings alongside the North Riding and West Riding, which were constituent parts a Yorkshire ... From 1974 to 1996 the area of the modern East Riding of Yorkshire constituted the northern part of Humberside ...
... The main communities in the riding were Morden and Winkler ... Manufacturing accounts for 17% of the riding's industry, followed by agriculture at 16% ... A quarter of the riding's population has less than a Grade Nine education ...
... Its official name was "West Kootenay (north riding) ... It was formed from a partition the West Kootenay riding that also created West Kootenay (south riding) ...
Famous quotes containing the word riding:
Comes designed to my love to steal not her tide raking
Wound, nor her riding high, nor her eyes, nor kindled hair,
But her faith....”
—Dylan Thomas (19141953)
“But the lightning which explodes and fashions planets, maker of planets and suns, is in him. On one side elemental order, sandstone and granite, rock-ledges, peat-bog, forest, sea and shore; and on the other part, thought, the spirit which composes and decomposes nature,here they are, side by side, god and devil, mind and matter, king and conspirator, belt and spasm, riding peacefully together in the eye and brain of every man.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (18031882)
“Eunuchs ran through Hell and met
On every crowded street to stare
Upon great Juan riding by:
Even like these to rail and sweat
Staring upon his sinewy thigh.”
—William Butler Yeats (18651939)