Meaning may refer to:
- Meaning (linguistics), meaning which is communicated through the use of language
- Meaning (non-linguistic), extra-linguistic meaning (intentional communication without the use of language), and natural meaning, where no intentions are involved at all
- Meaning (semiotics) has to do with the distribution of signs in sign relations
- Meaning as a relationship between ontology and truth
- Meaning as a reference or equivalence
- Meaning (philosophy of language)
- Meaning (psychology)
- Meaning as values, a value system or as derived from value theory
- Meaning (existential), as it is understood in contemporary existentialism
- The meaning of life, a notion concerning the nature of human existence
- Meaning (House), an episode of the TV series House
Other articles related to "meaning, meanings":
... The meaning of the river name is unknown but it is possibly derived from etja (meaning "push forward") or eta (meaning "eat") ...
... The city was also at one point referred to as Ankh-Tawy (meaning "Life of the Two Lands"), stressing the strategic position of the city between Upper and Lower Egypt. 1550 BCE), the city became known as Men-nefer (meaning "enduring and beautiful"), which became Menfe in Coptic ... The Egyptian historian Manetho referred to Memphis as Hut-ka-Ptah (meaning "Enclosure of the ka of Ptah"), which he approximated in Greek as Aί γυ πτoς (Ai-gy-ptos), from which derives the Latin AEGYPTVS ...
... and Catalan), and quinzaine (French), all meaning "15 days" (because of inclusive counting) in Italian is also in use the word "bisettimanale" with the ... Similarly, in Greek, the term δεκαπενθήμερο (dekapenthímero), meaning "15 days", is also used ... In Welsh, the term pythefnos, meaning "15 nights", is used instead ...
... The name "Rotselaar" can have four different meanings, and it is important to make a distinction between these meanings in order to avoid ambiguities ... In a first meaning, "Rotselaar" refers to the whole of the municipality of Rotselaar as it exists since the merger of municipalities that came into effect on January 1, 1977 and reduced the number of ... In a second meaning, "Rotselaar" refers specifically to the town of Rotselaar proper as it existed before the merger with Wezemaal and Werchter in 1977 ...
... According to Will Wilkinson of the libertarian think tank Cato Institute, studies show that higher economic freedom correlates strongly with higher self-reported happiness ... According to Tomi Ovaska and Ryo Takashima, economic freedom research suggests "that people unmistakably care about the degree to which the society where they live provides them opportunities and the freedom to undertake new projects, strongly with and make choices based on one's personal preferences." According to the Cato Institute, higher economic freedom promotes participation and collaboration ...
Famous quotes containing the word meaning:
“Ideas improve. The meaning of words participates in the improvement. Plagiarism is necessary. Progress implies it. It embraces an authors phrase, makes use of his expressions, erases a false idea, and replaces it with the right idea.”
—Guy Debord (b. 1931)
“He is the essence that inquires.
He is the axis of the star;
He is the sparkle of the spar;
He is the heart of every creature;
He is the meaning of each feature;
And his mind is the sky,
Than all it holds more deep, more high.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (18031882)
“In love, we worry more about the meaning of silences than the meaning of words.”
—Mason Cooley (b. 1927)