Lift may mean:
- Lift (force), a mechanical force generated by an object moving through a fluid
- Lift (soaring), rising air used by soaring birds and glider, hang glider and paraglider pilots for soaring flight
- Lift (soft drink), a brand of carbonated beverage produced and marketed by the Coca-Cola Company
- Lift (data mining), a measure of the performance of a model at segmenting the population
- Airlift, in logistics, the act of transporting people or cargo from point to point using aircraft
- Figure skating lifts, movements in pair skating and ice dancing
- Hitchhiking, a form of transport in which the traveller tries to get a lift (or ride) from another traveller
- Plastic surgery, surgery to "lift" the skin:
- Rhytidectomy or "face lift", a type of plastic surgery
- Mastopexy or "breast lift", a type of plastic surgery
Other articles related to "lift, lifts":
... An axel lift in pair skating is a movement in which the woman is turned over her partner's head one and a half times ... From a position of holding hands on one side, her partner lifts her with his hand under her armpit and the lift begins from the woman's outside forward edge and ...
... are the formats and track listings of major single releases of "Lift Me Up" ... UK CD1/European CD2 "Lift Me Up" - 352 "Lift Me Up" - 357 "Lift Me Up" - 324 "Lift Me Up" - 802 UK CD2/European CD1 "Lift Me Up" - 352 "Live and Let Die" - 310 "Very ...
... Lift (web framework), a Web application framework for Scala, which runs on the Java Virtual Machine Lift Conference, a conference about the ...
... Press lift The skaters skate facing each other, with the man skating backwards ... They clasp hands and the man pushes forward and up, "pressing" her into the lift ... Hand to hand loop lift The skaters are facing in the same direction ...
... Unlike dance lifts, pair lifts are typically over the man's head ... Most pair lifts are rotational, with the man turning on the ice before setting the lady down a carry lift, by contrast, is a lift without rotation ... A lift's score may be affected by Type of entry – May raise difficulty by entry in spread eagle, arabesque or other position ...
Famous quotes containing the word lift:
“For there is no friend like a sister
In calm or stormy weather;
To cheer one on the tedious way,
To fetch one if one goes astray,
To lift one if one totters down,
To strengthen whilst one stands.”
—Christina Georgina Rossetti (18301894)
“They shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.”
—Bible: Hebrew Isaiah, 2:4.
The words reappear in Micah 4:3, and the reverse injunction is made in Joel 3:10 (Beat your plowshares into swords ...)
“I pray every single second of my life; not on my knees, but with my work. My prayer is to lift woman to equality with man. Work and worship are one with me. I can not imagine a God of the universe made happy by my getting down on my knees and calling him great.”
—Susan B. Anthony (18201906)