Call may refer to:
- A type of betting in poker
- Animal communication, a song or noise made by an animal such as:
- Bird call, part of a bird song
- A command in square dancing, delivered by a caller
- Call option, a term in stock trading
- Call on shares, a request for a further payment on partly paid share capital
- A shell command in DOS, OS/2 and Microsoft Windows command-line interpreters
- System call, in computer science, the mechanism used by an application program to request service from the operating system or another application program
- A method of starting a Subroutine
- Any bid, pass, double, or redouble made in the bidding stage of contract bridge
Other articles related to "called":
... to be accomplished, a valuation of planned work, called Planned Value (PV) or Budgeted Cost of Work Scheduled (BCWS), and pre-defined “earning rules” (also called metrics) to quantify the ...
... In the UK and in US mechanical engineering, this is called moment of force shortened usually to moment ... of the object (the concept which in physics is called torque) ... such as a drill bit accelerating from rest, the resulting moment is called a torque ...
... school of Valentinus as he legomene gnostike haeresis "the heresy called Learned (gnostic)" ... work On the Detection and Overthrow of Knowledge Falsely So Called, (Greek elenchos kai anatrope tes pseudonymou gnoseos genitive case ...
... Then there is also in that place the abode called Breidablik, and there is not in heaven a fairer dwelling." Later in the work, when Snorri describes Baldr, he gives a ...
... by one's opponent (even then, if a pocket is called for the 8, as opposed to "just a shot", i.e ... generally considered legal shots in informal games, as long as they are called as split shots, and the hit is in fact simultaneous to the human eye ... but not ball-in-hand) foul if one pockets one's called shot but also pockets another ball incidentally, even if it is one's own (however, if that secondary pocketing was also called, the shot is legal ...
Famous quotes containing the word called:
“But then in what way are things called good? They do not seem to be like the things that only chance to have the same name. Are goods one then by being derived from one good or by all contributing to one good, or are they rather one by analogy? Certainly as sight is in the body, so is reason in the soul, and so on in other cases.”
—Aristotle (384322 B.C.)
“Miss Mary Emerson is here,the youngest person in Concord, though about eighty,and the most apprehensive of a genuine thought; earnest to know of your inner life; most stimulating society; and exceedly witty withal. She says they called her old when she was young, and she has never grown any older. I wish you could see her.”
—Henry David Thoreau (18171862)
“His work was that curious mixture of bad painting and good intentions that always entitles a man to be called a representative British artist.”
—Oscar Wilde (18541900)