Call may refer to:
- A type of betting in poker
- Animal communication, a song or noise made by an animal such as:
- Bird call, part of a bird song
- A command in square dancing, delivered by a caller
- Call option, a term in stock trading
- Call on shares, a request for a further payment on partly paid share capital
- A shell command in DOS, OS/2 and Microsoft Windows command-line interpreters
- System call, in computer science, the mechanism used by an application program to request service from the operating system or another application program
- A method of starting a Subroutine
- Any bid, pass, double, or redouble made in the bidding stage of contract bridge
Other articles related to "called":
... (c.185 AD) to describe the school of Valentinus as he legomene gnostike haeresis "the heresy called Learned (gnostic)" ... and Overthrow of Knowledge Falsely So Called, (Greek elenchos kai anatrope tes pseudonymou gnoseos genitive case ...
... and in US mechanical engineering, this is called moment of force shortened usually to moment ... angular momentum of the object (the concept which in physics is called torque) ... shaft causing acceleration, such as a drill bit accelerating from rest, the resulting moment is called a torque ...
... as one of the halls of Asgard "Then there is also in that place the abode called Breidablik, and there is not in heaven a fairer dwelling." Later in the work ...
... project plan that identifies work to be accomplished, a valuation of planned work, called Planned Value (PV) or Budgeted Cost of Work Scheduled (BCWS), and pre-defined “earning rules” (also called metrics) to ...
... of game, unless one was hooked (snookered) by one's opponent (even then, if a pocket is called for the 8, as opposed to "just a shot", i.e ... legal shots in informal games, as long as they are called as split shots, and the hit is in fact simultaneous to the human eye ... ball-in-hand) foul if one pockets one's called shot but also pockets another ball incidentally, even if it is one's own (however, if that secondary pocketing was also ...
Famous quotes containing the word called:
“You have promise, Mlle. Dubois, but you must choose between an operatic career and what is usually called a normal life. Though why it is so called is beyond me.”
—Eric Taylor, Leroux, and Arthur Lubin. M. Villeneuve (Frank Puglia)
“You watched and you saw what happened and in the accumulation of episodes you saw the pattern: Daddy ruled the roost, called the shots, made the money, made the decisions, so you signed up on his side, and fifteen years later when the womens movement came along with its incendiary manifestos telling you to avoid marriage and motherhood, it was as if somebody put a match to a pile of dry kindling.”
—Anne Taylor Fleming (20th century)
“One day my mother called me ... and she said, Forty-nine million Americans saw you on television tonight. One of them is the father of my future grandchild, but hes never going to call you because you wore your glasses.”
—Lesley Stahl (b. 1941)