Call may refer to:
- A type of betting in poker
- Animal communication, a song or noise made by an animal such as:
- Bird call, part of a bird song
- A command in square dancing, delivered by a caller
- Call option, a term in stock trading
- Call on shares, a request for a further payment on partly paid share capital
- A shell command in DOS, OS/2 and Microsoft Windows command-line interpreters
- System call, in computer science, the mechanism used by an application program to request service from the operating system or another application program
- A method of starting a Subroutine
- Any bid, pass, double, or redouble made in the bidding stage of contract bridge
Other articles related to "called":
... a loss of game, unless one was hooked (snookered) by one's opponent (even then, if a pocket is called for the 8, as opposed to "just a shot", i.e ... considered legal shots in informal games, as long as they are called as split shots, and the hit is in fact simultaneous to the human eye ... but not ball-in-hand) foul if one pockets one's called shot but also pockets another ball incidentally, even if it is one's own (however, if that secondary pocketing was also called ...
... work to be accomplished, a valuation of planned work, called Planned Value (PV) or Budgeted Cost of Work Scheduled (BCWS), and pre-defined “earning rules” (also called ...
... In the UK and in US mechanical engineering, this is called moment of force shortened usually to moment ... to change the angular momentum of the object (the concept which in physics is called torque) ... such as a drill bit accelerating from rest, the resulting moment is called a torque ...
... as one of the halls of Asgard "Then there is also in that place the abode called Breidablik, and there is not in heaven a fairer dwelling." Later in the work, when Snorri describes Baldr ...
... (c.185 AD) to describe the school of Valentinus as he legomene gnostike haeresis "the heresy called Learned (gnostic)" ... occurs in the context of Irenaeus' work On the Detection and Overthrow of Knowledge Falsely So Called, (Greek elenchos kai anatrope tes pseudonymou gnoseos genitive case ...
Famous quotes containing the word called:
“A Whig is properly what is called a Trimmerthat is, a coward to both sides of the question, who dare not be a knave nor an honest man, but is a sort of whiffling, shuffling, cunning, silly, contemptible, unmeaning negation of the two.”
—William Hazlitt (17781830)
“If Los Angeles has been called the capital of crackpots and the metropolis of isms, the native Angeleno can not fairly attribute all of the citys idiosyncrasies to the newcomerat least not so long as he consults the crystal ball for guidance in his business dealings and his wife goes shopping downtown in beach pajamas.”
—For the State of California, U.S. public relief program (1935-1943)
“This insight, which expresses itself by what is called Imagination, is a very high sort of seeing, which does not come by study, but by the intellect being where and what it sees, by sharing the path, or circuit of things through forms, and so making them translucid to others.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (18031882)