Call may refer to:
- A type of betting in poker
- Animal communication, a song or noise made by an animal such as:
- Bird call, part of a bird song
- A command in square dancing, delivered by a caller
- Call option, a term in stock trading
- Call on shares, a request for a further payment on partly paid share capital
- A shell command in DOS, OS/2 and Microsoft Windows command-line interpreters
- System call, in computer science, the mechanism used by an application program to request service from the operating system or another application program
- A method of starting a Subroutine
- Any bid, pass, double, or redouble made in the bidding stage of contract bridge
Other articles related to "called":
... as he legomene gnostike haeresis "the heresy called Learned (gnostic)" ... work On the Detection and Overthrow of Knowledge Falsely So Called, (Greek elenchos kai anatrope tes pseudonymou gnoseos genitive case ...
... Then there is also in that place the abode called Breidablik, and there is not in heaven a fairer dwelling." Later in the work, when Snorri describes Baldr, he ...
... unless one was hooked (snookered) by one's opponent (even then, if a pocket is called for the 8, as opposed to "just a shot", i.e ... legal shots in informal games, as long as they are called as split shots, and the hit is in fact simultaneous to the human eye ... peccadillo is that a shot is a visit-ending (but not ball-in-hand) foul if one pockets one's called shot but also pockets another ball incidentally, even if it is one's own (however, if that ...
... work to be accomplished, a valuation of planned work, called Planned Value (PV) or Budgeted Cost of Work Scheduled (BCWS), and pre-defined “earning rules” (also called metrics) to quantify the accomplishment ...
... In the UK and in US mechanical engineering, this is called moment of force shortened usually to moment ... of the object (the concept which in physics is called torque) ... acceleration, such as a drill bit accelerating from rest, the resulting moment is called a torque ...
Famous quotes containing the word called:
“a notable prince that was called King John;
And he ruled England with main and with might,
For he did great wrong, and maintained little right.”
—Unknown. King John and the Abbot of Canterbury (l. 24)
“To reduce the imagination to a state of slaveryeven though it would mean the elimination of what is commonly called happinessis to betray all sense of absolute justice within oneself. Imagination alone offers me some intimation of what can be.”
—André Breton (18961966)
“you see, we live in a cold climate
and are not permitted to kiss on the street
so I made up a song that wasnt true.
I made up a song called Marriage.”
—Anne Sexton (19281974)