Virtual may refer to:
- Virtuality, the quality of having the attributes of something without sharing its (real or imagined) physical form
- Virtual, a 2001 album by Romanian band Animal X
- Virtual channel, a channel designation which differs from that of the actual radio channel (or range of frequencies) on which the signal travels
- Virtual function, a programming function or method whose behaviour can be overridden within an inheriting class by a function with the same signature
- Virtual memory, a memory management technique that abstracts the memory address space in a computer, allowing each process to have a dedicated address space.
- Virtual particle, a species of particle that which has energy and momentum uncertain according to the uncertainty principle.
- Virtual (horse), a thoroughbred racehorse
Famous quotes containing the word virtual:
“Neither dead nor alive, the hostage is suspended by an incalculable outcome. It is not his destiny that awaits for him, nor his own death, but anonymous chance, which can only seem to him something absolutely arbitrary.... He is in a state of radical emergency, of virtual extermination.”
—Jean Baudrillard (b. 1929)
“Tragedy dramatizes human life as potentiality and fulfillment. Its virtual future, or Destiny, is therefore quite different from that created in comedy. Comic Destiny is Fortunewhat the world will bring, and the man will take or miss, encounter or escape; tragic Destiny is what the man brings, and the world will demand of him. That is his Fate.”
—Susanne K. Langer (18951985)