People With Lewis Connections
- Sheilagh M. Kesting, first woman minister to be nominated to be Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland.
- Angus MacAskill, the strongest man to have ever lived - born in Berneray and briefly lived in Stornoway before emigrating to Canada.
- Murdo Stewart MacDonald from Great Bernera - Clipper Captain and Lloyds Surveyor of Shipping.
- Callum Macdonald from Great Bernera - Foremost publisher of Scottish poetry in the twentieth century
- John MacKay, anchorman of STV News at 6 Central
- Alexander MacKenzie, explorer, after whom the Mackenzie River in Canada is named
- Colin Mackenzie, 1st Surveyor-General of India
- Anne MacKenzie, BBC current affairs presenter and radio presenter
- Ken MacLeod, science fiction writer
- Ronnie MacKinnon, Of Carloway parentage - Played football for Glasgow Rangers and 28 times for Scotland, Now lives in Point
- Hans Matheson, plays the title role in Granada's £8.5m serialisation of Boris Pasternak's novel, Doctor Zhivago.
- Linda Norgrove, kidnapped by the Taliban in Afghanistan, and killed in rescue effort.
- Arthur Pink, Christian evangelist and Biblical scholar.
- Donald Stewart, politician and former leader of the Scottish National Party
- Donald Trump, American billionaire, whose mother came from Tong, a village 4 miles (6.4 km) from Stornoway.
- Derick Thomson, Scottish Gaelic poet, from Point, and educated in Stornoway.
- Alistair Darling, former Chancellor of the Exchequer and MP for Edinburgh Central has a house in the village of Breacleit, Bernera and is of Bernera parentage.
- Alyth McCormack, singer
- Alasdair White, musician (Fiddle, Whistle, Pipes, Bouzouki) plays with Battlefield Band
- Andy Gray, former footballer and Sky Sports pundit, his Grandmother hails from the village of Back.
- Cathy Macdonald, foremost presenter on BBC Alba television channel comes from Iarsiadar, Uig.
- Kevin MacNeil, novelist, poet and playwright
Read more about this topic: Lewis
Famous quotes containing the words people, lewis and/or connections:
“Some people are so extremely whiffling and inconsiderable that they are as far from any real faults as from substantial virtues.”
—François, Duc De La Rochefoucauld (16131680)
“Its simple: either you have discipline or you havent.”
—Edmund H. North, British screenwriter, and Lewis Gilbert. Captain Shepard (Kenneth More)
“Growing up human is uniquely a matter of social relations rather than biology. What we learn from connections within the family takes the place of instincts that program the behavior of animals; which raises the question, how good are these connections?”
—Elizabeth Janeway (b. 1913)