Asian refers to anything related to the continent of Asia, especially Asian people.
Asian may also refer to:
- More specific meanings depending on context:
- In the Americas, Australia and New Zealand the term usually refers to people from East Asia or Southeast Asia.
- In the United Kingdom and some other Commonwealth countries, the term refers more frequently to those from South Asia.
- Culture of Asia - the culture of the people from the Asia
- Asian cuisine - food based on the style of food of the people from Asia
- Asii (also Asiani), a historic Central Asian ethnic group mentioned in Roman-era writings
- Asian option, a type of option contract in finance
- Asyan, a village in Iran
Famous quotes containing the word asian:
“Exploitation and oppression is not a matter of race. It is the system, the apparatus of world-wide brigandage called imperialism, which made the Powers behave the way they did. I have no illusions on this score, nor do I believe that any Asian nation or African nation, in the same state of dominance, and with the same system of colonial profit-amassing and plunder, would have behaved otherwise.”
—Han Suyin (b. 1917)
“We are not about to send American boys 9 or 10,000 miles away from home to do what Asian boys ought to be doing for themselves.”
—Lyndon Baines Johnson (19081973)
“Morals are in all countries the result of legislation and government; they are not African or Asian or European: they are good or bad.”
—Denis Diderot (17131784)