Augustine of Hippo defined the Latin equivalent, theologia, as "reasoning or discussion concerning the Deity"; Richard Hooker defined "theology" in English as "the science of things divine". The term can, however, be used for a variety of different disciplines or forms of discourse. Theologians use various forms of analysis and argument (philosophical, ethnographic, historical, spiritual and others) to help understand, explain, test, critique, defend or promote any of myriad religious topics. Theology might be undertaken to help the theologian:
- understand more truly his or her own religious tradition,
- understand more truly another religious tradition,
- make comparisons among religious traditions,
- defend or justify a religious tradition,
- facilitate reform of a particular tradition,
- assist in the propagation of a religious tradition, or
- draw on the resources of a tradition to address some present situation or need,
- draw on the resources of a tradition to explore possible ways of interpreting the world, or
- explore the nature of divinity without reference to any specific tradition.
- challenge (ex. biblical criticism) or oppose (ex. irreligion) a religious tradition or the religious world-view.
Read more about this topic: Theology
Other articles related to "definition, definitions":
... ESPN launched its 720p high-definition simulcast, originally branded as ESPNHD, on March 20, 2001 ... Live studio shows, along with most live events on ESPN, use high definition ... Footage from non-HD sources is presented in a standard definition, 43 format with stylized pillarboxes ...
... Report, which included what is now one of the most widely recognised definitions "Sustainable development is development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future ... It offers an integrated vision and definition of strong sustainability ... It generates a more nuanced definition of sustainable development “the need to ensure a better quality of life for all, now and into the future, in a just and equitable ...
... These three definitions may be described as the ethno-linguistic definition, the religious-cultural definition, and the patrilineal definition, respectively ...
... The definition was later changed to also include resistant starches, along with inulin and other oligosaccharides ... Official definition of dietary fiber differs a little among different institutions Organization (reference) Definition Institute of Medicine Dietary fiber consists of nondigestible carbohydrates and ...
... In medical dictionaries, definitions should to the greatest extent possible be simple and easy to understand, preferably even by the general public useful clinically or in related areas where the ...
Famous quotes containing the word definition:
“One definition of man is an intelligence served by organs.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (18031882)
“Perhaps the best definition of progress would be the continuing efforts of men and women to narrow the gap between the convenience of the powers that be and the unwritten charter.”
—Nadine Gordimer (b. 1923)
“... we all know the wags definition of a philanthropist: a man whose charity increases directly as the square of the distance.”
—George Eliot [Mary Ann (or Marian)