Occupation may refer to:
- Job (role), a regular activity performed for payment, that occupies one's time
- Employment, a person under service of another by hire
- Career, a course through life
- Profession, a vocation founded upon specialized training
- Vocation, an occupation to which a person is specially drawn
- A category in the Standard Occupational Classification System
- Occupying a space, either through force, by fiat, or by agreement:
- Military occupation, the martial control of a territory
- Occupation (protest), a political demonstration
- Occupancy, use of a building
- Television series that use this word in their titles:
- "Occupation" (Battlestar Galactica), an episode of the science fiction television series
- Occupation (TV serial), a drama about the Iraq War
Other articles related to "occupation, occupations":
... the prevailing caste system being a system of division of labour or occupation, it was necessary to allot some kind of occupation to this "interim caste ... as the shodasakriyakal, but resort to a different occupation for living ...
... On August 19, 2008, Russian troops captured 22 Georgian soldiers and seized four American Humvees in the port city. ...
... and well-being This is a list of some of the characteristics of occupations, as discussed in literature in the last decade ... Occupations are activities both meaningful and purposeful to the individual performing them • Occupations fill and structure time • Occupations contribute to the individual’s sense of ... The word ‘occupation’ has a relatively precise usage in the fields of occupational therapy and occupational science but other disciplines (such as ...
... Proximity to the commercial hub of Mumbai has seen a majority of the population taking up jobs in the manufacturing as well as service industries ... This community has few people who stay in interior parts of Maharashtra who are related to business in different industries ...
... In 1969, Oakes led a group of students and urban Bay Area Indians in an occupation of Alcatraz Island that would last until 1971 ... of various tribes joined Oakes and staged the longest occupation of a federal facility by Indian people ... The historic occupation was made up initially of young Indian college students ...
Famous quotes containing the word occupation:
“Wars will remain while human nature remains. I believe in my soul in cooperation, in arbitration; but the soldiers occupation we cannot say is gone until human nature is gone.”
—Rutherford Birchard Hayes (18221893)
“Parenting, as an unpaid occupation outside the world of public power, entails lower status, less power, and less control of resources than paid work.”
—Nancy Chodorow, U.S. professor, and sociologist. The Reproduction of Mothering Psychoanalysis and the Sociology of Gender, ch. 2 (1978)
“... possibly there is no needful occupation which is wholly unbeautiful. The beauty of work depends upon the way we meet itwhether we arm ourselves each morning to attack it as an enemy that must be vanquished before night comes, or whether we open our eyes with the sunrise to welcome it as an approaching friend who will keep us delightful company all day, and who will make us feel, at evening, that the day was well worth its fatigues.”
—Lucy Larcom (18241893)