The Lappeenranta University of Technology (LUT) (in Finnish: until 2003 Lappeenrannan teknillinen korkeakoulu, LTKK, and from 2003 Lappeenrannan teknillinen yliopisto, LTY) was established in 1969. The university campus is situated on the shore of lake Saimaa, about 7 kilometres away from the city center. In the 1950s and 1960s, the Finnish government made plans to establish the University of Eastern Finland in Lappeenranta, but in the end it was decentralized in three cities: Lappeenranta, Kuopio, and Joensuu. Only departments of engineering were located in Lappeenranta at that time. The Department of Business Administration was established and teaching of economics began in 1991.
Nowadays, LUT’s strategic focus areas are green energy and technology, the creation of sustainable competitiveness and operation as a hub of international Russian relations. Being located near the eastern boundary of Finland, the university also offers comprehensive know-how related to Russia. Furthermore, LUT cooperates closely with business life, and next to the university lies Technology Centre Kareltek. LUT is state run and state funded, like all other universities in Finland.
In 2011 LUT started Green Campus -project. LUT Green Campus is a unique research and educational environment, where the university's expertise in energy as well as its own innovations are put to practical use. Green Campus is an example on how science and technology can be used to solve environmental problems and build a sustainable world.
There are about 930 staff members and 5,700 students in the university, with their numbers growing every year. In LUT one can graduate in the following degrees: Bachelor of Science (Econ), Bachelor of Science (Tech), Master of Science (Tech), Master of Science (Econ), Licentiate of Science (Econ), Licentiate of Science (Tech), Doctor of Science (Tech), Doctor of Science (Econ), and Doctor of Philosophy.
The University has three faculties, all of which have their related departments as follows:
- Faculty of Technology
- Faculty of Technology Management
- Department of Industrial Management
- Department of Information Technology
- School of Business
- Business Law
- Finance (MSF Master's Degree Programme in Strategic Finance)
- International Marketing (MIMM; Master's Degree in International Marketing Management in English)
- International Technology and Innovation Management (MITIM; Master’s Degree Programme in English)
- Knowledge Management
- Management and Organizations
- Strategy Research
- Supply Management
LUT has several internationally accredited Master´s programmes. Master's degree programme in International Marketing Management was awarded EFMD`s EPAS-accreditation for five years in 2012. EUR-ACE and ASIIN-accredited programmes LUT has in Chemical Engineering, in Energy Technology, in Environmental Technology,in Mechanical Engineering, in Electrical Engineering and in Industrial Management.
- South Karelian Institute
- Centre for Separation Technology (CST)
- Technology Business Research Center (TBRC)
- Northern Dimension Research Centre (NORDI)
- Carelian Drives and Motor Centre (CDMC)
- Centre of Computational Engineering and Integrated Design (CEID)
- Rector Ilkka Pöyhönen, Doctor of Science (Tech). Professor, Mechanical Engineering
- 1. Vice Rector (Research) Veli Matti Virolainen, Doctor of Science (Tech), Professor, Supply Management
- 2. Vice Rector (Teaching) Hannu Rantanen, Doctor of Science (Tech), Professor, Industrial Management, especially Engineering and Technology Management
- 3. Vice Rector (International Affairs) Kirsimarja Blomqvist, Doctor of Science (Econ and Bus Admin.), Professor
- Tuomo Rönkkö, CEO of Maintpartner Group
- Laura Lares, CEO of Woimistamo
- Tapio Kuula, President and CEO of Fortum
- Seppo Miettinen, Mayor of Lappeenranta
- Arja Suominen, Senior Vice President, Corporate Communications and Corporate Responsibility, Finnair
- Jarmo Partanen, Professor, Head of LUT Energy
- Kaisu Puumalainen, Professor of Strategy Research, LUT
- Ritva Tuunila, Research Scientist, LUT Chemistry
- Hanna Nopanen, Student of Technology, LUT
Read more about Lappeenranta University Of Technology: The Viipuri Prize
Other articles related to "lappeenranta university of technology, university":
... The following scholars have been awarded the Viipuri Prize David Teece, University of California, Berkeley (2003) James G ... March, Stanford University (2004) Peter Buckley, University of Leeds (2006) Sidney G ... Winter, University of Pennsylvania (2008) C ...
Famous quotes containing the words technology and/or university:
“Primitive peoples tried to annul death by portraying the human bodywe do it by finding substitutes for the human body. Technology instead of mysticism!”
—Max Frisch (19111991)
“It is well known, that the best productions of the best human intellects, are generally regarded by those intellects as mere immature freshman exercises, wholly worthless in themselves, except as initiatives for entering the great University of God after death.”
—Herman Melville (18191891)