A prize is an award to be given to a person or a group of people to recognise and reward actions or achievements. Official prizes often involve monetary rewards as well as the fame that comes with them. Some prizes are also associated with extravagant awarding ceremonies, such as the Academy Awards.
Prizes are also given to publicize noteworthy or exemplary behaviour, and to provide incentives for improved outcomes and competitive efforts. In general, prizes are regarded in a positive light, and their winners are admired. However, many prizes, especially the more famous ones, have often caused controversy and jealousy.
Specific types of prizes include:
- Booby prize: typically awarded as a joke or insult to whoever finished last (e.g., wooden spoon (award)).
- consolation prize: an award given to those who do not win.
- Hierarchical prizes, where the best award is "first prize", "grand prize", or "gold medal". Subordinate awards are "second prize", "third prize", etc., or "first runner-up" and "second runner-up", etc., or "silver medal" and "bronze medal". (In some contests, "grand prize" is more desirable than "first prize".)
- On game shows in the UK, the term is "star prize", while in Australia, it is "major prize".
- Purchase prize or acquisition prize: a monetary prize given in an art competition in exchange for the winning work.
Other articles related to "prize, prizes":
... Medal for children's literature Katherine Paterson, Bridge to Terabithia Pulitzer Prize for Drama Donald L ... Coburn, The Gin Game Pulitzer Prize for Fiction James Alan McPherson, Elbow Room Pulitzer Prize for Poetry Howard Nemerov, Collected Poems ...
... The Lemelson Foundation awards several prizes yearly to inventors in United States ... The largest is the Lemelson-MIT Prize which was endowed in 1994 by Jerome H ... $500,000, making it the largest cash prize for invention in the U.S ...
... Rogers (Lemelson-MIT Prize) Elizabeth Hausler (Lemelson-MIT Award for Sustainability) Alice Chen (Lemelson-MIT Student Prize) Scott Diagle (Lemelson-MIT Illinois Student Prize) Guoan Zheng (Lemelson-MIT ...
... James Tait Black Memorial Prize for fiction A ... Macdonell, England, Their England James Tait Black Memorial Prize for biography Violet Clifton, The Book of Talbot Newbery Medal for children's ...
... The Kyoto Prize (京都賞, Kyōto-shō?) has been awarded annually since 1985 by the Inamori Foundation, founded by Kazuo Inamori ... The prize is a Japanese award similar in intent to the Nobel Prize, as it recognizes outstanding works in the fields of philosophy, arts, science and ... Prizes are given in the fields of Advanced Technology, Basic Sciences and Arts and Philosophy ...
Famous quotes containing the word prize:
“In the corrupted currents of this world
Offences gilded hand may shove by justice,
And oft tis seen the wicked prize itself
Buys out the law; but tis not so above:
There is no shuffling.”
—William Shakespeare (15641616)
“Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.”
—Theodore Roosevelt (18581919)
“He saw, he wishd, and to the prize aspird.
Resolvd to win, he meditates the way,
By force to ravish, or by fraud betray;
For when success a lovers toil attends,
Few ask, if fraud or force attaind his ends.”
—Alexander Pope (16881744)