Rapporteurships and Units
The IACHR has created several Rapporteurships, a Special Rapporteurship and a Unit to monitor OAS states' compliance with inter-American human rights treaties in the following areas:
- Rapporteurship on Migrant Workers and their Families
- Rapporteurship on the Rights of Women - it was the first Rapporteurship created by the IACHR in 1994
- Rapporteurship on the Rights of the Child
- Rapporteurship on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
- Rapporteurship on the Rights of Persons Deprived of Liberty
- Rapporteurship on the Rights of Afro-Descendants and against Racial Discrimination
- Rapporteurship on Human Rights Defenders
- Special Rapporteur for Freedom of Expression It is the only Special Rapporteurship of the IACHR, meaning that it has a Rapporteur dedicated full-time to the job. The other Rapporteurships are in the hands of the Commissioners, who have other functions at the IACHR and also their own jobs in their home-countries, since their work as Commissioners is unpaid.
- The Unit on the Rights of Lesbian, Gay, Trans, Bisexual, and Intersex Persons was created in 2011.
The IACHR also has a Press and Outreach Office.
Read more about this topic: Inter-American Commission On Human Rights
Famous quotes containing the word units:
“Even in harmonious families there is this double life: the group life, which is the one we can observe in our neighbours household, and, underneath, anothersecret and passionate and intensewhich is the real life that stamps the faces and gives character to the voices of our friends. Always in his mind each member of these social units is escaping, running away, trying to break the net which circumstances and his own affections have woven about him.”
—Willa Cather (18731947)