Herod is a name used of several kings belonging to the Herodian Dynasty of the Roman province of Judaea:
- Herod the Great (c. 74–4 BC), client king of Judaea who rebuilt the Second Temple (in Jerusalem) into Herod's Temple
- Herod Archelaus (23 BC–c. AD 18), ethnarch of Samaria, Judea, and Idumea
- Herod Antipas (20 BC–c. AD 40), tetrarch of Galilee and Peraea, who (called "Herod the Tetrarch" or "Herod" in the New Testament up to Acts 4:27) was described therein as ordering John the Baptist's death and as mocking Jesus
- Herod II (c. 27 BC - 33 AD), sometimes called Herod Philip I, father of Salome
- Philip the Tetrarch (4 BC–AD 34), sometimes called Herod Philip II, tetrarch of Ituraea and Trachonitis
- Herod Agrippa I (c. 10 BC–AD 44), client king of Judaea, called "King Herod" or "Herod" in Acts 12 of the New Testament
- Herod of Chalcis, also known as Herod III, king of Chalcis (AD 41–48)
- Herod Agrippa II (AD 27–100), tetrarch of Chalcis who was described in Acts of the Apostles as "King Agrippa" before whom Paul of Tarsus defended himself
- Herodes Atticus (AD 101-177), was an unrelated Greek aristocrat who served as a Roman Senator and proponent of Sophism
Read more about Herod: Other
Other articles related to "herod":
... Judean kingdom under Herod experienced a period of growth and expansion ... As a close and loyal ally to the Romans, Herod extended his rule as far as Arabia, created ambitious projects of construction and renovated the Temple ... After Herod's death in 4 BCE, the kingdom was partitioned to several parts to each of his three sons (initially four parts) - forming the Tetrarchy ...
... She is remembered as one of the wives of King of Judea Herod the Great ... According to Josephus, Cleopatra VII and King Herod became intimate, and that Cleopatra "upon the whole, seemed overcome with love for him (King Herod ... Herod is said to have had a son named Philip with Cleopatra of Jerusalem while it is believed that Cleopatra had a third child with Marc Anthony also named Philip ...
1791 King Fergus* Eclipse* Creeping Polly Fenwick’s Herod mare Herod* Pyrrha Eliza 1791 Highflyer* Herod* Rachel Augusta Eclipse* Herod mare Dam Goosander (GB) 1805 ... to Eclipse, 3x4 to Highflyer, and 4x4 to Herod ...
... Salome I was the sister of Herod the Great and the mother of Berenice by her husband Costobarus, governor of Idumea ... Upon the death of Herod the Great in 4 BCE, she was given a toparchy including the cities of Jabneh, Ashdod, Phasaelis, and 5000 drachmae ... Berenice's children were Herodias, Herod Agrippa I, king of Judea, Herod of Chalcis and Aristobulus Minor, and Mariamne III (who may have been the first wife of her uncle ...
... Hérode et Mariamne, a tragedy, by Voltaire Herod (band), the name of a heavy metal band from the United States Herod (horse), a thoroughbred racehorse A ...
Famous quotes containing the word herod:
“I forsak the, Kyng Herowdes, and thi werkes alle;
Ther is a chyld in Bedlem born is beter than we alle.”
—Unknown. St. Stephen and King Herod (l. 68)
“Seynt Stevene was a clerk in Kyng Herowdes halle.
And servyd him of bred and cloth, as every kyng befalle.”
—Unknown. St. Stephen and King Herod (l. 12)