Canids commonly known as foxes include members of the following genera:
- Alopex: Arctic fox, although the definitive mammal taxonomy list as well as genetic evidence places it in Vulpes, and not as a genus unto itself.
- Canis: The Ethiopian Wolf, also called, variously, Semien fox or Semien jackal (though recently renamed to reflect its biological affinity with the gray wolf).
- Cerdocyon: Crab-eating fox.
- Dusicyon: Falkland Islands fox.
- Lycalopex: Six South American species.
- Otocyon: Bat-eared fox.
- Urocyon: Gray fox, island fox and Cozumel fox.
- Vulpes: Including 12 species of true foxes, including the red fox, V. vulpes, Tibetan Sand Fox, Vulpes ferrilata and their closest kin.
The fennec fox is the smallest species of fox.
Arctic fox curled up in snow.
A Chilla fox in Pan de Azúcar National Park in the coast of Atacama Desert.
Crab-eating fox, a South American species.
Fox exhibit at Cape Fear Museum in Wilmington, North Carolina
Red fox. Ystad/Sweden 2012.
Read more about this topic: Fox
Other articles related to "classification, classifications":
... For more details on this topic, see List of pterosaur classifications ... Classification of pterosaurs has historically been difficult, because there were many gaps in the fossil record ...
... In 2004, analysis of the Bayesian classification problem has shown that there are some theoretical reasons for the apparently unreasonable efficacy of naive Bayes classifiers ... Still, a comprehensive comparison with other classification methods in 2006 showed that Bayes classification is outperformed by more current approaches, such as boosted trees or random ... training data to estimate the parameters (means and variances of the variables) necessary for classification ...
... or volcanic rocks if modal mineralogical composition is not determined, instead the TAS classification (Total-Alkali-Silica) is used ... Therefore, provisional or field classifications (Figures 3 and 4) are used, which are simplified versions of Figures 1 and 2 ... This classification is used if rock sample has phaneritic texture (plutonic rocks) Figure 2 ...
... The Anatomical Therapeutic Chemical (ATC) Classification System is used for the classification of drugs ...
... There is a variable star classification scheme that encompasses existing stars that are classified in the spectra classification ...