A fleet is a collection of ships or vehicles, with many specific connotations:
- Fleet vehicles, two or more vehicles
- Fishing fleet
- Naval fleet, substantial group of warships
- List of naval fleets
- A group of small ships or flotilla
- A group of racing sailboats. A superset whose subsets are called "classes". Classes may be non-identical boat types grouped into handicap rating bands or ranges, or classes may be groups of ("one-design") boat types, identical within their respective class. A class may be further subdivided into "divisions" and/or "flights".
- Starfleet, fictional military, diplomatic, and exploration force in Star Trek
- Ugs fleet, a collection of military ground sensors.
Other articles related to "fleet":
... that could operate in closer collaboration with the surface fleet than the Navy's existing classes, which had been designed primarily for coastal defense ... These notional "fleet" submarines would necessarily be larger and better armed, but primarily, they would need a surface speed of some 21 kn (24 mph ... Spear, proposed two preliminary fleet-boat designs for consideration in the Navy's 1914 program ...
... Gunnery exercises doubled the fleet's accuracy ... However, the mission also underlined the fleet's dependence on foreign colliers and the need for coaling stations and auxiliary ships for coaling and resupply ...
... The aircraft carrier returned home in April and rejoined the Pacific Reserve Fleet briefly ... was reactivated later that summer and, in August, transited the Panama Canal to join the Atlantic Fleet ... During the intervening years, she participated in numerous fleet and independent ship's exercises ...
... the remainder of 1958 in pilot qualification training for Air Group 14 and fleet exercises along the California coast ... Division Two, to join the Seventh Fleet ... more than 7,000 sorties in support of 7th Fleet operations ...
... Atlantic Fleet training schedule, with Norfolk her homeport ... for the first of her annual deployments with the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean ... of Good Hope for Taiwan, where she joined the 7th Fleet for operations in the Western Pacific until 28 June 1955 ...
Famous quotes containing the word fleet:
“On the middle of that quiet floor
sits a fleet of small black ships,
square-rigged, sails furled, motionless,
their spars like burned matchsticks.”
—Elizabeth Bishop (19111979)
“They ... fleet the time carelessly, as they did in the golden world.”
—William Shakespeare (15641616)
“Believe me, if all those endearing young charms,
Which I gaze on so fondly today,
Were to change by tomorrow, and fleet in my arms,
Like fairy-gifts fading away.”
—Thomas Moore (17791852)