Emphasis or emphatic may refer to:
- Emphasis (telecommunications), intentional alteration of the amplitude-vs.-frequency characteristics of the signal to reduce adverse effects of noise
- Emphasis (typography), visual enhancement a part of a text to make it noticeable
- Emphasis! (On Parenthesis), 2008 album by Stanton Moore Trio
- "Emphasis/Who Wants to Live Forever", 2002 single by After Forever
- Cultural emphasis, alleged tendency of a language's vocabulary to detail elements of the speakers' culture
- Emphatic consonant, member of a phonological category of consonants in Semitic languages
- Emphatic Diaglott, 1864 Bible translation by Benjamin Wilson
- Emphatic (band), an American rock band
Other articles related to "emphasis":
... Over the course of the 19th century, the simplified liturgy with an emphasis on preaching that was prevalent in Virginia when St ... Paul’s to a greater emphasis on ritual ... As a result of further change in liturgical emphasis to give the Eucharist a more central role in worship, the altar was moved in 1968 from the rear of ...
... There is an emphasis on the sexual jealousy of Abraham over Abimelech's treatment of Sarah ... However, there is also an emphasis on the impious actions of the Gentiles of Gerar and of their inability to love properly, especially when Hagar sings Lo, her ears Have suffer'd profanation ...
... the term One Drop reflects the complete de-emphasis (to the point of silence) of the first beat in the cycle ... Brown’s signature funk groove emphasized the downbeat – that is, with heavy emphasis "on the one" (the first beat of every measure) – to etch his distinctive sound, rather than the back beat (famili ...
... Color (value and hue) alterations also allow for a further emphasis on certain features ... If the cartographer were to label a river, the extra emphasis would be inherent if the font chosen was blue, to correspond with the blue feature (arc) ... appear to be washed out and thus, no emphasis ...
... College offers Master’s Degrees, with an emphasis on Emphasis on Marketing Emphasis on Finance Emphasis on Human Resource Pre-MBA and Weekend MBA ...
Famous quotes containing the word emphasis:
“The scholar might frequently emulate the propriety and emphasis of the farmers call to his team, and confess that if that were written it would surpass his labored sentences.”
—Henry David Thoreau (18171862)
“The Irish ... are the damnedest race. They put so much emphasis on so many wrong things.”
—Margaret Mitchell (19001949)
“The emphasis must be not on the right to abortion but on the right to privacy and reproductive control.”
—Ruth Bader Ginsberg (b. 1933)