Things Named After Charles Babbage
There have been a number of locations, institutions and others named after Babbage. They include:
- The Moon crater Babbage
- The Charles Babbage Institute, an information technology archive and research center at the University of Minnesota
- Babbage's, an American software retail store in the 1980s and 90s (it was later merged with other stores, into GameStop)
- The large Babbage lecture theatre at Cambridge University, used for undergraduate science lectures
- British Rail named a locomotive after him in the 1990s as part of a program of naming locomotives after famous and significant scientists
- The Babbage Building at the University of Plymouth, where the university's school of computing is based
- The IT Service of Cambridgeshire County Council was based in Babbage House on the Castle Park office complex up until December 2011.
- In Monk's Walk School, there is a block called "Babbage"
- In Chessington, in the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames, a road in a new housing development has been named Charles Babbage Close
- The Babbage programming language for GEC 4000 series minicomputers
- There is a Babbage Room at Totnes Museum, in Totnes where Babbage spent his youth
- "Babbage", The Economist's Science and Technology blog
Read more about this topic: Charles Babbage
Famous quotes containing the word named:
“And he appointed twelve, whom he also named apostles, to be with him, and to be sent out to proclaim the message...”
—Bible: New Testament, Mark 3:14.