- 1415 – João I conquers the city of Ceuta in northern Africa
- 1419 – Madeira Islands discovered by João Gonçalves Zarco and Tristão Vaz Teixeira.
- 1427 – Azores Islands discovered by Diogo Silves.
- 1433 – Duarte of Portugal becomes king.
- 1434 – Gil Eanes crosses the Bojador Cape: exploration of the African coast begins.
- 1438 – Afonso V of Portugal becomes king.
- 1444/1460 – discovery and settling of Cape Verde islands.
- 1481 – João II of Portugal becomes king.
- 1483 – João II executes Fernando, the third Duke of Braganza, and Diogo, the Duke of Viseu, putting an end to high nobility conspiracies.
- 1484 – Diogo Cão discovers the Congo river.
- 1491 – Bartolomeu Dias becomes the first European captain to cross the Cape of Good Hope.
- 1494 – The Treaty of Tordesillas signed between Spain and Portugal, dividing the colonisable world in two halves.
- 1495 – Manuel I of Portugal becomes king.
- 1498 – Vasco da Gama reaches India through navigation around Africa.
Famous quotes containing the word century:
“There dwell the children of the dark Night, the dread gods Sleep and Death.”
—Hesiod (c. 8th century B.C.)