Quantized QAM Performance
The following definitions are needed in determining error rates:
- = Number of symbols in modulation constellation
- = Energy-per-bit
- = Energy-per-symbol = with k bits per symbol
- = Noise power spectral density (W/Hz)
- = Probability of bit-error
- = Probability of bit-error per carrier
- = Probability of symbol-error
- = Probability of symbol-error per carrier
is related to the complementary Gaussian error function by:, which is the probability that x will be under the tail of the Gaussian PDF towards positive infinity.
The error rates quoted here are those in additive white Gaussian noise (AWGN).
Where coordinates for constellation points are given in this article, note that they represent a non-normalised constellation. That is, if a particular mean average energy were required (e.g. unit average energy), the constellation would need to be linearly scaled.
Read more about this topic: Quadrature Amplitude Modulation
Famous quotes containing the word performance:
“So long as the source of our identity is externalvested in how others judge our performance at work, or how others judge our childrens performance, or how much money we makewe will find ourselves hopelessly flawed, forever short of the ideal.”
—Melinda M. Marshall (20th century)