AthleticsSee also: Northern Michigan Wildcats men's ice hockey
NMU’s Wildcats compete in the NCAA's Division II Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference in basketball, football, golf, skiing, cross country, soccer, volleyball, track & field, and swimming/diving. The hockey program competes in Division I as a member of the Central Collegiate Hockey Association. The Division II football team plays in the world's largest wooden dome, the Superior Dome. Lloyd Carr, former head coach at the University of Michigan, former NFL coach Jerry Glanville, and Steve Mariucci, former head coach of the Detroit Lions, played football for NMU, and current Michigan State coach Tom Izzo played basketball at NMU. Northern Michigan's rivals in sports action are the two other major schools in the upper peninsula: Michigan Technological University, and Lake Superior State University.
The winner of the annual football game between NMU and Michigan Tech is awarded the Miner's Cup.
National Championships (4):
- 1975 - Football - NCAA Division II
- 1991 - Men's Ice Hockey - NCAA Division I
- 1993 - Women's Volleyball - NCAA Division II
- 1994 - Women's Volleyball - NCAA Division II
National Runners-up (4):
- 1980 - Men's Ice Hockey - NCAA Division I
- 1992 - Women's Swimming and Diving - NCAA Division II
- 1992 - Women's Volleyball - NCAA Division II
- 1995 - Women's Volleyball - NCAA Division II
Basketball Final Four (1):
- 1961 - Men's Basketball - NAIA Division I
Read more about this topic: Northern Michigan Wildcats Football