The mountains of Corsica are in the Corsican montane broadleaf and mixed forests ecoregion, with a pattern of forest zones that are strongly dependent on altitude (due to the increase in moisture):
- Thermomediterranean vegetation belt, 150 metres (490 ft) (south) and 100 metres (330 ft)(north); Pistacia lentiscus shrubs and dense mediterranean coastal scrub (maquis) with Quercus ilex, Phillyrea, Myrtus communis and wild olive (Olea europea var. sylvestris).
- Mesomediterranean vegetation belt, up to 700 metres (2,300 ft) (northern slopes) and 900 metres (3,000 ft) (southern slopes); Erica arborea, Arbutus unedo and Quercus ilex. Forests include Quercus suber, Pinus pinaster, Quercus pubescens and Castanea sativa too.
- Supramediterranean vegetation belt, 500–700 metres (1,600–2,300 ft) up to 900–1,000 metres (3,000–3,300 ft) (northern slopes), or 800–1,000 metres (2,600–3,300 ft) to 1,200–1,350 metres (3,900–4,430 ft) (southern slopes); Erica arborea, Quercus ilex, Quercus petraea, Pinus nigra ssp. laricio, Almus cordata, Ilex aquifolium, Taxus baccata and Ostrya carpinifolia.
- Montane vegetation belt, 900–1,000 metres (3,000–3,300 ft) to 1,600 metres (5,200 ft) (northern slopes) and 1,300 to 1,800 metres (4,300 to 5,900 ft) (southern slopes); forests of Pinus nigra ssp. laricio, Fagus sylvatica and Abies alba. Quercus ilex, Quercus pubescens, Pinus pinaster, Castanea sativa and Erica arborea not present anymore.
- Cryo-oromediterranean vegetation belt, 1,700–1,800 metres (5,600–5,900 ft) to 2,200 metres (7,200 ft) (only southern slopes); above the upper Tree line (Pinus nigra ssp. laricio goes up to 1,800 metres (5,900 ft)), dwarfed bushes of Genista lobelii var. lobelioides, Astragalus sirinicus ssp. genargenteus, Anthyllis hemanniae, Thymus herbabarona, Berberis aetnensis and Juniperus communis ssp. alpina.
- Subalpine vegetation belt, 1,400–1,600 metres (4,600–5,200 ft) to 2,100 metres (6,900 ft) (only northern slopes); Alnus viridis ssp. suaveolens, Acer pseudoplatanus, Sorbus aucuparia ssp. praemorsa.
- Alpine vegetation belt, above 2,100 metres (6,900 ft); sparse vegetation.
- Indicator plants: Rock Speedwell (Veronica fruticans), Potentilla crassinervia, Armeria pusilla, Cerastium thomasii, Phyteuma serratum, Stachys corsica e Helichrysum frigidum.
Read more about this topic: Life Zones Of The Mediterranean Region