Instituto Nacional General José Miguel Carrera, often shortened to Instituto Nacional (National Institute), founded on August 10, 1813 by the Chilean patriot José Miguel Carrera, officially Liceo Ex A-0 - Instituto Nacional General José Miguel Carrera, is Chile's oldest and most prestigious school. Its motto is 'Labor Omnia Vincit', which means "Hard work conquers all".
It is an all male public school teaching 7th and 8th grade of the basic level (Educación Básica) and 1st through 4th grade of the intermediate level (Educación Media). It is located in downtown Santiago, Chile, neighboring the University of Chile's main campus. The exact location is Arturo Prat #33, Santiago, Chile.
Instituto Nacional is considered by many to be one of the best schools in Chile, and the most prestigious one.
Many Chilean presidents and other honorable personalities have studied here.
A number of Chilean presidents are Instituto Nacional alumni:
- Manuel Bulnes Prieto (1841–1851)
- Manuel Montt Torres (1851–1861)
- José Joaquín Pérez Mascayano (1861–1871)
- Federico Errázuriz Zañartu (1871–1876)
- Aníbal Pinto Garmendia (1876–1881)
- Domingo Santa María González (1881–1886)
- José Manuel Balmaceda Fernández (1886–1891)
- Federico Errázuriz Echaurren (1896–1901)
- Germán Riesco Errázuriz (1901–1906)
- Pedro Montt Montt (1906–1910)
- Ramón Barros Luco (1910–1915)
- Juan Luis Sanfuentes Andonaégui (1915–1920)
- Emiliano Figueroa Larraín (1925–1927)
- Pedro Aguirre Cerda (1938–1941)
- Jorge Alessandri Rodríguez (1958–1964)
- Salvador Allende Gossens (1970–1973)
- Ricardo Lagos Escobar (2000–2006)
A partial list of renowned Chilean intellectuals who were both alumni and teachers at Instituto National is given below:
- Camilo Henríquez
- Francisco Bilbao
- Benjamín Vicuña Mackenna
- José Victorino Lastarria
- Miguel Luis Amunátegui
Other famous alumni includes:
- José Toribio Medina
- Ramón Allende Padín
- José Francisco Vergara
- Arturo Prat, war hero.
- Valentín Letelier
- Alberto Cabero
Famous intellectuals taught at Instituto Nacional. Some of them are:
- de:Justus Florian Lobeck
- Rodulfo Amando Philippi
- Ignacio Domeyko
- Gustave Courcelle-Seneuil
- Hans Steffen
- Andrés Bello. Founder of Universidad de Chile.