- Mohawk Airlines Flight 121 crashed July 2, 1963, killing 7 people and injuring 36.
- Air Canada flight 7405 destined for Toronto Pearson International Airport was called back over suspicion about a Sri Lankan couple carrying fake passports on July 19, 2006
- An American Airlines McDonnell Douglas DC-10 skidded off of Runway 22 during landing, onto snowy, muddy grass, during the winter of 1972/1973. The aircraft had to be towed out of the mud and was moved to the terminal.
- Allegheny Airlines Flight 453 crash-landed on July 9, 1978, while arriving from Boston Logan International Airport. The BAC-111 aircraft was carrying 77 people. According to the NTSB report, the flight landed on Runway 28 at too high a speed, but with sufficient performance capability to reject the landing. The pilots chose to continue the landing, the aircraft skidded off the end of the runway, and its landing gear were sheared off by a ditch. There were no fatalities. The aircraft was written off.
- Delta Air Lines Flight 1907, a Boeing MD-88 from Rochester to Atlanta on October 11, 2009 had to make a return to Rochester after take off from runway 22, due to an engine failure. 12 minutes later, the aircraft made a safe landing back on runway 22. Once the aircraft landed, the FAA made a statement that after take off, the aircraft hit a fleet of geese, which caused the engine failure. All 149 passengers and crew landed safely with no injuries.
- At 11:37pm On February 22, 2012, United Express flight 3350, an ERJ-145 operated by Trans States Airlines, arrived from Chicago O'Hare and skidded off the end of Runway 22 after landing. There was a heavy snowfall passing through the Rochester region around the time of this incident. No damage to the aircraft or injuries were reported and the FAA was at the scene investigating the cause of the overrun. The main runway (4/22) was closed until the aircraft was towed from the overrun area around 4:30 a.m. Due to the incident, two flights had to be diverted including American Eagle flight #3960, also from Chicago, which diverted into Pittsburgh and eventually arrived in Rochester at 2:27am. JetBlue Airways Flight #30 from New York-JFK also diverted to Syracuse where the passengers and crew spent the night before landing in Rochester at 9:48am the next morning.
Read more about this topic: Greater Rochester International Airport
Famous quotes containing the word incidents:
“An element of exaggeration clings to the popular judgment: great vices are made greater, great virtues greater also; interesting incidents are made more interesting, softer legends more soft.”
—Walter Bagehot (18261877)