An electric bus is a bus powered by electricity.
There are two main electric bus categories:
- Non-autonomous electric buses:
- The trolleybus is a type of electric bus powered by two overhead electric wires, with electricity being drawn from one wire and returned via the other wire, using two roof-mounted trolley poles.
- The gapbus is a bus without rails or surface power lines, and it can share the road lane with other vehicles as well. Power is supplied over a gap of 12 cm (4.7 in) from a power line embedded in the ground.
- The onboard stored-electricity bus (autonomous electric buses):
- Battery electric bus and capabus
For information on buses using a combination of internal combustion engines and electric propulsion, see Hybrid electric buses and Dual-mode buses.
Famous quotes containing the words electric and/or bus:
“The more I see of democracy the more I dislike it. It just brings everything down to the mere vulgar level of wages and prices, electric light and water closets, and nothing else.”
—D.H. (David Herbert)
“In the dime stores and bus stations,
People talk of situations,
Read books, repeat quotations,
Draw conclusions on the wall.”
—Bob Dylan [Robert Allen Zimmerman] (b. 1941)