Some articles on union:
... Union County is a county located in the U.S ... A study by Forbes.com determined Union County pays the second-highest property taxes of all counties in the nation ... more than 5,000 persons per square mile on average, Union County is one of the most densely populated counties in America ...
... The village of Mashapaug in Union is the site of the Traveler Restaurant, a unique eating establishment that gives away used books to its patrons ... The Union Free Public Library is housed in one of the town's few public buildings ... Union Green Historic District ...
... In 1862 Union forces coming down the river successfully cleared Confederate defenses at Island Number 10 and Memphis, Tennessee, while Naval forces coming upriver from the Gulf of Mexico captured ... stronghold was on the heights overlooking the river at Vicksburg, Mississippi, and the Union's Vicksburg Campaign (December 1862 to July, 1863), and the ... The Union victory ending the Siege of Vicksburg on July 4, 1863 was pivotal to the Union's final victory of the Civil War ...
... The Zimbabwe African National Union was a militant organization that fought against the white minority government in Rhodesia, formed as a split from the Zimbabwe African People's Union (ZAPU) ...
... Benelux is a union of states in Europe comprising three neighbouring countries, Belgium, the Netherlands, and Luxembourg ... The Union's name is formed from the beginning of each country's name it was possibly created for the Benelux Customs Union ... Coal and Steel Community, the earliest version of the modern European Union ...
More definitions of "union":
- (noun): The occurrence of a uniting of separate parts.
Example: "Lightning produced an unusual union of the metals"
- (noun): The state of being joined or united or linked.
Example: "There is strength in union"
- (noun): A political unit formed from previously independent people or organizations.
Example: "The Soviet Union"
- (noun): Healing process involving the growing together of the edges of a wound or the growing together of broken bones.
- (adj): Of trade unions.
Example: "The union movement"; "union negotiations"; "a union-shop clause in the contract"
- (noun): An organization of employees formed to bargain with the employer.
Example: "You have to join the union in order to get a job"
Synonyms: labor union, trade union, trades union, brotherhood
- (noun): The state of being a married couple voluntarily joined for life (or until divorce).
Example: "God bless this union"
Synonyms: marriage, matrimony, spousal relationship, wedlock
- (noun): The United States (especially the northern states during the American Civil War).
Example: "He has visited every state in the Union"; "Lee hoped to detach Maryland from the Union"
- (noun): The act of pairing a male and female for reproductive purposes.
Synonyms: coupling, mating, pairing, conjugation, sexual union
- (adj): Being of or having to do with the northern United States and those loyal to the Union during the Civil War.
Example: "Union soldiers"
- (noun): A device on a national flag emblematic of the union of two or more sovereignties (typically in the upper inner corner).
Famous quotes containing the word union:
“The only hope of socialism resides in those who have already brought about in themselves, as far as is possible in the society of today, that union between manual and intellectual labor which characterizes the society we are aiming at.”
—Simone Weil (19091943)
“She had brought love to the union and he had brought a longing after the flesh.”
—Zora Neale Hurston (18911960)
“Without the power of the Industrial Union behind it, Democracy can only enter the State as the victim enters the gullet of the Serpent.”
—James Connolly (18701916)