Some articles on union:
... Benelux is a union of states in Europe comprising three neighbouring countries, Belgium, the Netherlands, and Luxembourg ... The Union's name is formed from the beginning of each country's name it was possibly created for the Benelux Customs Union ... and Steel Community, the earliest version of the modern European Union ...
... The village of Mashapaug in Union is the site of the Traveler Restaurant, a unique eating establishment that gives away used books to its patrons ... The Union Free Public Library is housed in one of the town's few public buildings ... Union Green Historic District ...
... Union County is a county located in the U.S ... A study by Forbes.com determined Union County pays the second-highest property taxes of all counties in the nation ... With more than 5,000 persons per square mile on average, Union County is one of the most densely populated counties in America ...
... In 1862 Union forces coming down the river successfully cleared Confederate defenses at Island Number 10 and Memphis, Tennessee, while Naval forces coming upriver from the ... stronghold was on the heights overlooking the river at Vicksburg, Mississippi, and the Union's Vicksburg Campaign (December 1862 to July, 1863), and the fall of ... The Union victory ending the Siege of Vicksburg on July 4, 1863 was pivotal to the Union's final victory of the Civil War ...
... The Zimbabwe African National Union was a militant organization that fought against the white minority government in Rhodesia, formed as a split from the Zimbabwe ...
More definitions of "union":
- (noun): The United States (especially the northern states during the American Civil War).
Example: "He has visited every state in the Union"; "Lee hoped to detach Maryland from the Union"
- (noun): A device on a national flag emblematic of the union of two or more sovereignties (typically in the upper inner corner).
- (noun): Healing process involving the growing together of the edges of a wound or the growing together of broken bones.
- (noun): A political unit formed from previously independent people or organizations.
Example: "The Soviet Union"
- (noun): The occurrence of a uniting of separate parts.
Example: "Lightning produced an unusual union of the metals"
- (noun): The act of pairing a male and female for reproductive purposes.
Synonyms: coupling, mating, pairing, conjugation, sexual union
- (adj): Of trade unions.
Example: "The union movement"; "union negotiations"; "a union-shop clause in the contract"
- (noun): The state of being a married couple voluntarily joined for life (or until divorce).
Example: "God bless this union"
Synonyms: marriage, matrimony, spousal relationship, wedlock
- (adj): Being of or having to do with the northern United States and those loyal to the Union during the Civil War.
Example: "Union soldiers"
- (noun): A set containing all and only the members of two or more given sets.
Example: "Let C be the union of the sets A and B"
Synonyms: sum, join
- (noun): An organization of employees formed to bargain with the employer.
Example: "You have to join the union in order to get a job"
Synonyms: labor union, trade union, trades union, brotherhood
Famous quotes containing the word union:
“The old ideals are dead as nailsnothing there. It seems to me there remains only this perfect union with a womansort of ultimate marriageand there isnt anything else.”
—D.H. (David Herbert)
“Thus piteously Love closed what he begat:
The union of this ever-diverse pair!
These two were rapid falcons in a snare,
Condemned to do the flitting of the bat.”
—George Meredith (18281909)
“To emancipate [the slaves] entirely throughout the Union cannot, I conceive, be thought of, consistently with the safety of the country.”
—Frances Trollope (17801863)