A top (also called spinning top or spintop) is a toy that can be spun on an axis, balancing on a point.
Read more about Top.
Some articles on top:
... and surged into a tie with Tony Stewart for the top of the standings ... The top three finishers were involved in the 2005 Chase for the NEXTEL Cup ... Top Ten Results Jimmie Johnson Kurt Busch Greg Biffle Joe Nemechek Mark Martin Casey Mears Ryan Newman Denny Hamlin Ricky Rudd Carl Edwards Failed to qualify Boris ...
... is so much money and so much power at the very top, and the gap between those people at the very top and everybody else is so great, that we are going to see social mobility choked off ... Prize winning economist Joseph Stiglitz says, Of all the costs imposed on our society by the top 1 percent, perhaps the greatest is this the erosion of our sense of identity, in which fair play, equality of opportunity ... of a poor citizen, or even a middle-class citizen, making it to the top in America are smaller than in many countries of Europe ...
... The university has entered the top 1% of institutions in physics and, of the nine institutions entering the top 1% in this field, the University of Maribor did so with the highest number of citations, according to ... World Universities," the University of Maribor is in the top 15 of “Top Central and Eastern Europe Universities." It currently (2010) holds 534th position (of 12,000) of ...
... The rest of the top-5 were Carl Edwards, Jeremy Mayfield, and Ryan Newman with notable mention given to Ken Schrader in 9th, his second top ten of 2005 which had spearheaded his recent boon to 26th in the points ... Top Ten Results Jimmie Johnson Bobby Labonte Carl Edwards Jeremy Mayfield Ryan Newman Greg Biffle Martin Truex Jr ...
... Although it is Steps' only single to miss the top ten in the UK, it is also one of their highest sellers ... It remained in the top 20 for ten weeks and sold over 300,000 copies, more than some of their top 5 hits ... it was the highest ever selling single of the 1990s not to enter the top 10 in the UK Singles Chart ...
More definitions of "top":
- (noun): Platform surrounding the head of a lower mast.
- (noun): The highest or uppermost side of anything.
Example: "Put your books on top of the desk"; "only the top side of the box was painted"
Synonyms: top side, upper side, upside
- (noun): A canvas tent to house the audience at a circus performance.
Example: "They had the big top up in less than an hour"
Synonyms: circus tent, big top, round top
- (verb): Strike (the top part of a ball in golf, baseball, or pool) giving it a forward spin.
- (noun): A conical child's plaything tapering to a steel point on which it can be made to spin.
Example: "He got a bright red top and string for his birthday"
Synonyms: whirligig, teetotum, spinning top
- (verb): Cut the top off.
Example: "Top trees and bushes"
- (verb): Finish up or conclude.
Example: "Top the evening with champagne"
Synonyms: top off
- (verb): Provide with a top.
Example: "The towers were topped with conical roofs"
- (verb): Be the culminating event.
- (noun): The highest level or degree attainable.
Example: "At the top of his profession"
Synonyms: acme, height, elevation, peak, pinnacle, summit, superlative
- (noun): Covering for a hole (especially a hole in the top of a container).
Example: "He removed the top of the carton"; "he couldn't get the top off of the bottle"
- (verb): Be at the top of or constitute the top or highest point.
Example: "A star tops the Christmas Tree"
- (noun): A garment (especially for women) that extends from the shoulders to the waist or hips.
Example: "He stared as she buttoned her top"
- (noun): The upper part of anything.
Example: "The mower cuts off the tops of the grass"; "the title should be written at the top of the first page"
- (adj): Situated at the top or highest position.
Example: "The top shelf"
- (verb): Be ahead of others; be the first.
- (adj): Not to be surpassed.
Example: "His top effort"
- (verb): Reach or ascend the top of.
Example: "The hikers topped the mountain just before noon"
- (noun): The first half of an inning; while the visiting team is at bat.
Example: "A relief pitcher took over in the top of the fifth"
Synonyms: top of the inning
- (noun): The greatest possible intensity.
Example: "He screamed at the top of his lungs"
Famous quotes containing the word top:
“She isnt harassed. Shes busy, and its glamorous to be busy. Indeed, the image of the on- the-go working mother is very like the glamorous image of the busy top executive. The scarcity of the working mothers time seems like the scarcity of the top executives time.... The analogy between the busy working mother and the busy top executive obscures the wage gap between them at work, and their different amounts of backstage support at home.”
—Arlie Hochschild (20th century)
“I sweep. One gyrates like a top and falls
And stunned, stone blind, and deaf
Buzzes its frightful F
And dies between three cannibals.”
—Karl Shapiro (b. 1913)
“Oh! shipmates! on the starboard hand of every woe, there is a sure delight; and the higher the top of that delight, than the bottom of the woe is deep.”
—Herman Melville (18191891)