A top (also called spinning top or spintop) is a toy that can be spun on an axis, balancing on a point.
Read more about Top.
Some articles on top:
... The rest of the top-5 were Carl Edwards, Jeremy Mayfield, and Ryan Newman with notable mention given to Ken Schrader in 9th, his second top ten of 2005 which had spearheaded his recent boon to ... Top Ten Results Jimmie Johnson Bobby Labonte Carl Edwards Jeremy Mayfield Ryan Newman Greg Biffle Martin Truex Jr ...
... And what I really worry about is, there is so much money and so much power at the very top, and the gap between those people at the very top and everybody else is so great, that we are going to see social ... Joseph Stiglitz says, Of all the costs imposed on our society by the top 1 percent, perhaps the greatest is this the erosion of our sense of identity, in which fair play, equality of ... suggest otherwise the chances of a poor citizen, or even a middle-class citizen, making it to the top in America are smaller than in many countries of Europe ...
... Although it is Steps' only single to miss the top ten in the UK, it is also one of their highest sellers ... It remained in the top 20 for ten weeks and sold over 300,000 copies, more than some of their top 5 hits ... selling single of the 1990s not to enter the top 10 in the UK Singles Chart ...
... straight points-paying race at Lowe's and surged into a tie with Tony Stewart for the top of the standings ... The top three finishers were involved in the 2005 Chase for the NEXTEL Cup ... Top Ten Results Jimmie Johnson Kurt Busch Greg Biffle Joe Nemechek Mark Martin Casey Mears Ryan Newman Denny Hamlin Ricky Rudd Carl Edwards Failed ...
... The university has entered the top 1% of institutions in physics and, of the nine institutions entering the top 1% in this field, the University of Maribor ... the University of Maribor is in the top 15 of “Top Central and Eastern Europe Universities." It currently (2010) holds 534th position (of 12,000) of the world universities ranking, which ranks it ...
More definitions of "top":
- (verb): Be ahead of others; be the first.
- (verb): Pass by, over, or under without making contact.
- (noun): A canvas tent to house the audience at a circus performance.
Example: "They had the big top up in less than an hour"
Synonyms: circus tent, big top, round top
- (verb): Be the culminating event.
- (verb): Reach or ascend the top of.
Example: "The hikers topped the mountain just before noon"
- (noun): Covering for a hole (especially a hole in the top of a container).
Example: "He removed the top of the carton"; "he couldn't get the top off of the bottle"
- (verb): Be at the top of or constitute the top or highest point.
Example: "A star tops the Christmas Tree"
- (noun): The upper part of anything.
Example: "The mower cuts off the tops of the grass"; "the title should be written at the top of the first page"
- (noun): The highest or uppermost side of anything.
Example: "Put your books on top of the desk"; "only the top side of the box was painted"
Synonyms: top side, upper side, upside
- (adj): Situated at the top or highest position.
Example: "The top shelf"
- (verb): Strike (the top part of a ball in golf, baseball, or pool) giving it a forward spin.
- (noun): The first half of an inning; while the visiting team is at bat.
Example: "A relief pitcher took over in the top of the fifth"
Synonyms: top of the inning
- (noun): Platform surrounding the head of a lower mast.
- (verb): Cut the top off.
Example: "Top trees and bushes"
- (noun): The highest level or degree attainable.
Example: "At the top of his profession"
Synonyms: acme, height, elevation, peak, pinnacle, summit, superlative
- (adj): Not to be surpassed.
Example: "His top effort"
- (noun): A conical child's plaything tapering to a steel point on which it can be made to spin.
Example: "He got a bright red top and string for his birthday"
Synonyms: whirligig, teetotum, spinning top
- (verb): Finish up or conclude.
Example: "Top the evening with champagne"
Synonyms: top off
- (noun): A garment (especially for women) that extends from the shoulders to the waist or hips.
Example: "He stared as she buttoned her top"
- (verb): Provide with a top.
Example: "The towers were topped with conical roofs"
Famous quotes containing the word top:
“O, tis a parlous boy,
Bold, quick, ingenious, forward, capable.
He is all the mothers, from the top to toe.”
—William Shakespeare (15641616)
“The only gracious way to accept an insult is to ignore it; if you cant ignore it, top it; if you cant top it, laugh at it; if you cant laugh at it, its probably deserved.”
—Russell Lynes (b. 1910)
“Name me, if you can, a better feeling than the one you get when youve half a bottle of Chivas in the bag with a gram of coke up your nose and a teenage lovely pulling off her tube top in the next seat over while youre doing a hundred miles an hour in a suburban side street.”
—P.J. (Patrick Jake)