A top (also called spinning top or spintop) is a toy that can be spun on an axis, balancing on a point.
Read more about Top.
Some articles on top:
... The university has entered the top 1% of institutions in physics and, of the nine institutions entering the top 1% in this field, the University of Maribor did so with the highest number of citations, according ... the University of Maribor is in the top 15 of “Top Central and Eastern Europe Universities." It currently (2010) holds 534th position (of 12,000) of the world universities ranking, which ranks it ...
... The rest of the top-5 were Carl Edwards, Jeremy Mayfield, and Ryan Newman with notable mention given to Ken Schrader in 9th, his second top ten of 2005 which had spearheaded his recent boon ... Top Ten Results Jimmie Johnson Bobby Labonte Carl Edwards Jeremy Mayfield Ryan Newman Greg Biffle Martin Truex Jr ...
... Although it is Steps' only single to miss the top ten in the UK, it is also one of their highest sellers ... It remained in the top 20 for ten weeks and sold over 300,000 copies, more than some of their top 5 hits ... ever selling single of the 1990s not to enter the top 10 in the UK Singles Chart ...
... about is, there is so much money and so much power at the very top, and the gap between those people at the very top and everybody else is so great ... Prize winning economist Joseph Stiglitz says, Of all the costs imposed on our society by the top 1 percent, perhaps the greatest is this the erosion of our sense of identity, in which fair play, equality of ... otherwise the chances of a poor citizen, or even a middle-class citizen, making it to the top in America are smaller than in many countries of Europe ...
... and surged into a tie with Tony Stewart for the top of the standings ... The top three finishers were involved in the 2005 Chase for the NEXTEL Cup ... Top Ten Results Jimmie Johnson Kurt Busch Greg Biffle Joe Nemechek Mark Martin Casey Mears Ryan Newman Denny Hamlin Ricky Rudd Carl Edwards Failed to ...
More definitions of "top":
- (noun): Platform surrounding the head of a lower mast.
- (noun): The highest or uppermost side of anything.
Example: "Put your books on top of the desk"; "only the top side of the box was painted"
Synonyms: top side, upper side, upside
- (adj): Situated at the top or highest position.
Example: "The top shelf"
- (verb): Be at the top of or constitute the top or highest point.
Example: "A star tops the Christmas Tree"
- (verb): Be ahead of others; be the first.
- (noun): A conical child's plaything tapering to a steel point on which it can be made to spin.
Example: "He got a bright red top and string for his birthday"
Synonyms: whirligig, teetotum, spinning top
- (verb): Pass by, over, or under without making contact.
- (verb): Reach or ascend the top of.
Example: "The hikers topped the mountain just before noon"
- (adj): Not to be surpassed.
Example: "His top effort"
- (noun): A garment (especially for women) that extends from the shoulders to the waist or hips.
Example: "He stared as she buttoned her top"
- (noun): The upper part of anything.
Example: "The mower cuts off the tops of the grass"; "the title should be written at the top of the first page"
- (noun): A canvas tent to house the audience at a circus performance.
Example: "They had the big top up in less than an hour"
Synonyms: circus tent, big top, round top
- (verb): Cut the top off.
Example: "Top trees and bushes"
- (noun): Covering for a hole (especially a hole in the top of a container).
Example: "He removed the top of the carton"; "he couldn't get the top off of the bottle"
- (noun): The greatest possible intensity.
Example: "He screamed at the top of his lungs"
- (verb): Provide with a top.
Example: "The towers were topped with conical roofs"
- (noun): The highest level or degree attainable.
Example: "At the top of his profession"
Synonyms: acme, height, elevation, peak, pinnacle, summit, superlative
- (verb): Be the culminating event.
- (verb): Finish up or conclude.
Example: "Top the evening with champagne"
Synonyms: top off
- (noun): The first half of an inning; while the visiting team is at bat.
Example: "A relief pitcher took over in the top of the fifth"
Synonyms: top of the inning
Famous quotes containing the word top:
“It is cotter-pinned, it is bedded true.
Everything its parts can do
Has been thought out and accounted for.
Your least touch sets it going round,
And when top stop it rests with you.”
—Robert Frost (18741963)
“Saving lives is not a top priority in the halls of power. Being compassionate and concerned about human life can cause a man to lose his job. It can cause a woman not to get the job to begin with.”
—Myriam Miedzian, U.S. author. Boys Will Be Boys, ch. 2 (1991)
“You of the top hat,
you of the Cross made of lamb bones,
you of the camps, sacking the rejoice out of Germany,
I tell you this . . .
it will not do.”
—Anne Sexton (19281974)