Some articles on study:
... used interchangeably, but technically, ecology refers only to the study of organisms and their interactions with each other and their environment ... example) ecologists would be unlikely to study ... that focuses on the application of biological, chemical, and physical principles to the study of the physical environment and the solution of environmental problems, including ...
... The study of anatomy flourished in the 17th and 18th centuries ... Because the study of anatomy concerned observation and drawings, the popularity of the anatomist was equal to the quality of his drawing talents, and one need not be an expert in Latin to take part ... to dissection during the course of their study - they had to go where a fresh body was available (e.g ...
... Ecology is the study of the interactions between organisms and their environment ... Environmental chemistry is the study of chemical alterations in the environment ... Principal areas of study include soil contamination and water pollution ...
... hence "insect" and -λογία, -logia) is the scientific study of insects, a branch of arthropodology, which in turn is a branch of biology ... vague, and historically the definition of entomology included the study of terrestrial animals in other arthropod groups or other phyla, such as arachnids, myriapods, earthworms, land snails, and slugs ... is a taxon-based category any form of scientific study in which there is a focus on insect related inquiries is, by definition, entomology ...
... Onomastics or onomatology is the study of proper names of all kinds and the origins of names ... Toponymy or toponomastics, the study of place names, is one of the principal branches of onomastics ... Anthroponomastics is the study of personal names ...
More definitions of "study":
- (noun): Someone who memorizes quickly and easily (as the lines for a part in a play).
Example: "He is a quick study"
- (noun): A composition intended to develop one aspect of the performer's technique.
Example: "A study in spiccato bowing"
- (noun): Attentive consideration and meditation.
- (noun): Preliminary drawing for later elaboration.
- (verb): Think intently and at length, as for spiritual purposes.
Example: "He is meditating in his study"
Synonyms: meditate, contemplate
- (noun): A room used for reading and writing and studying.
Example: "He knocked lightly on the closed door of the study"
- (noun): A detailed critical inspection.
- (verb): Consider in detail and subject to an analysis in order to discover essential features or meaning.
Synonyms: analyze, analyse, examine, canvass, canvas
- (noun): A state of deep mental absorption.
Example: "She is in a deep study"
- (noun): A written document describing the findings of some individual or group.
Example: "This accords with the recent study by Hill and Dale"
Synonyms: report, written report
- (verb): Give careful consideration to.
- (noun): A branch of knowledge.
Example: "Anthropology is the study of human beings"
Synonyms: discipline, subject, subject area, subject field, field, field of study, bailiwick, branch of knowledge
- (verb): Be a student; follow a course of study; be enrolled at an institute of learning.
- (verb): Learn by reading books.
Synonyms: hit the books
Famous quotes containing the word study:
“of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness
of the flesh.
Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep
his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.”
—Bible: Hebrew Ecclesiastes (l. XII, 13)
“I leaf through books, I do not study them. What I retain of them is something I no longer recognize as anyone elses.”
—Michel de Montaigne (15331592)
“This place is the Devil, or at least his principal residence, they call it the University, but any other appellation would have suited it much better, for study is the last pursuit of the society; the Master eats, drinks, and sleeps, the Fellows drink, dispute and pun, the employments of the undergraduates you will probably conjecture without my description.”
—George Gordon Noel Byron (17881824)