A name is a word or term used for identification. Names can identify a class or category of things, or a single thing, either uniquely, or within a given context. A personal name identifies a specific unique and identifiable individual person, and may or may not include a middle name. The name of a specific entity is sometimes called a proper name (although that term has a philosophical meaning also) and is a proper noun. Other nouns are sometimes, more loosely, called names; an older term for them, now obsolete, is "general names".
Read more about Name.
Some articles on name:
... Coast Geodetic Survey, who recorded it as the local Indian name ... Local name recorded in 1949 by United States Geological Survey ...
... The German name Karlstadt or Carlstadt ("Charles's Town") has undergone translation into other languages in Hungarian it is known as Károlyváros, in ...
... The modern English name "Korea" derives from the Goryeo Dynasty (918-1392), which itself took one of the various names which Goguryeo had used in ...
... links According to Verisign, the.name top-level domain name (TLD) is designed for individuals to create a presence and make online communications easy and ... to registrars, social networking and community sites may also offer.name registration to their members and customers as a value-added service to help establish an individual identity online ...
... The municipality (originally the parish) is named after the old Grue farm (Old Norse Grof(a)), since the first church was built there ... The name is identical with the word grof(a) which means "depression" or "hollow" ...
More definitions of "name":
- (verb): Give the name or identifying characteristics of; refer to by name or some other identifying characteristic property.
- (noun): Family based on male descent.
Example: "He had no sons and there was no one to carry on his name"
- (verb): Make reference to.
Example: "His name was mentioned in connection with the invention"
Synonyms: mention, advert, bring up, cite, refer
- (noun): A person's reputation.
Example: "He wanted to protect his good name"
- (verb): Give or make a list of; name individually; give the names of.
- (verb): Identify as in botany or biology, for example.
Synonyms: identify, discover, key, key out, distinguish, describe
- (verb): Mention and identify by name.
Example: "Name your accomplices!"
- (noun): A language unit by which a person or thing is known.
Example: "His name really is George Washington"; "those are two names for the same thing"
- (noun): By the sanction or authority of.
Example: "Halt in the name of the law"
- (verb): Determine or distinguish the nature of a problem or an illness through a diagnostic analysis.
- (verb): Assign a specified, proper name to.