More definitions of "false":
- (adj): Not genuine or real; being an imitation of the genuine article.
Example: "False teeth"
Synonyms: fake, faux, imitation, simulated
- (adj): Designed to deceive.
Example: "A suitcase with a false bottom"
- (adj): (used especially of persons) not dependable in devotion or affection; unfaithful.
Example: "A false friend"
- (adj): Deliberately deceptive.
Example: "False pretenses"
- (adj): Arising from error.
Example: "A false assumption"
- (adj): Not in accordance with the fact or reality or actuality.
Example: "Gave false testimony under oath"; "false tales of bravery"
- (adj): Erroneous and usually accidental.
Example: "A false start"; "a false alarm"
Famous quotes containing the word false:
“I have been born many times, a false Messiah,
but let me be born again
into something true.”
—Anne Sexton (19281974)
“We can love an honest rogue, but what is more offensive than a false saint?”
—Jessamyn West (19021984)
“Hospitality still survives among foreigners, although it is buried under false pride among the poorest Americans.”
—Jane Addams (18601935)