More definitions of "direction":
- (noun): The spatial relation between something and the course along which it points or moves.
Example: "He checked the direction and velocity of the wind"
- (noun): The concentration of attention or energy on something.
Example: "He had no direction in his life"
Synonyms: focus, focusing, focussing, centering
- (noun): A line leading to a place or point.
Example: "He looked the other direction"
- (noun): The act of managing something.
Example: "Is the direction of the economy a function of government?"
- (noun): A general course along which something has a tendency to develop.
Example: "I couldn't follow the direction of his thoughts"; "his ideals determined the direction of his career"; "they proposed a new direction for the firm"
- (noun): The act of setting and holding a course.
Example: "A new council was installed under the direction of the king"
Synonyms: steering, guidance
Famous quotes containing the word direction:
“Dressed to die, the sensual strut begun,
With my red veins full of money,
In the final direction of the elementary town
I advance for as long as forever is.”
—Dylan Thomas (19141953)
“From the way the grass bends, one can know the direction of the wind.”
“It is wonderful how well watered this country is.... Generally, you may go any direction in a canoe, by making frequent but not very long portages.”
—Henry David Thoreau (18171862)