A bank is a financial institution and a financial intermediary that accepts deposits and channels those deposits into lending activities, either directly by loaning or indirectly through capital markets. A bank is the connection between customers that have capital deficits and customers with capital surpluses.
Read more about Bank.
Some articles on bank:
... Xiamen International Bank (XIB) (simplified Chinese 厦门国际银行 traditional Chinese 廈門國際銀行 pinyin Xiàmén Guójì Yínháng) was established in August ...
More definitions of "bank":
- (verb): Act as the banker in a game or in gambling.
- (noun): A supply or stock held in reserve for future use (especially in emergencies).
- (verb): Tip laterally.
Example: "The pilot had to bank the aircraft"
- (noun): The funds held by a gambling house or the dealer in some gambling games.
Example: "He tried to break the bank at Monte Carlo"
- (verb): Do business with a bank or keep an account at a bank.
Example: "Where do you bank in this town?"
- (noun): A flight maneuver; aircraft tips laterally about its longitudinal axis (especially in turning).
Example: "The plane went into a steep bank"
- (noun): A long ridge or pile.
Example: "A huge bank of earth"
- (noun): A slope in the turn of a road or track; the outside is higher than the inside in order to reduce the effects of centrifugal force.
Synonyms: cant, camber
- (noun): Sloping land (especially the slope beside a body of water).
Example: "They pulled the canoe up on the bank"; "he sat on the bank of the river and watched the currents"
- (noun): A building in which commercial banking is transacted.
Example: "The bank is on the corner of Nassau and Witherspoon"
Synonyms: bank building
- (verb): Be in the banking business.
- (noun): An arrangement of similar objects in a row or in tiers.
Example: "He operated a bank of switches"
- (verb): Put into a bank account.
- (noun): A financial institution that accepts deposits and channels the money into lending activities.
Example: "He cashed a check at the bank"; "that bank holds the mortgage on my home"
Synonyms: depository financial institution, banking concern, banking company
- (verb): Cover with ashes so to control the rate of burning.
Example: "Bank a fire"
- (verb): Have confidence or faith in.
Example: "Bank on your good education"
Synonyms: trust, swear, rely
Famous quotes containing the word bank:
“A bank is a confidence trick. If you put up the right signs, the wizards of finance themselves will come in and ask you to take their money.”
—Christina Stead (19021983)
“Good resolutions are useless attempts to interfere with scientific laws. Their origin is pure vanity. Their result is absolutely nil. They give us, now and then, some of those luxurious sterile emotions that have a certain charm for the weak.... They are simply cheques that men draw on a bank where they have no account.”
—Oscar Wilde (18541900)
“The prairies were dust. Day after day, summer after summer, the scorching winds blew the dust and the sun was brassy in a yellow sky. Crop after crop failed. Again and again the barren land must be mortgaged for taxes and food and next years seed. The agony of hope ended when there was not harvest and no more credit, no money to pay interest and taxes; the banker took the land. Then the bank failed.”
—Rose Wilder Lane (18861968)