A bank is a financial institution and a financial intermediary that accepts deposits and channels those deposits into lending activities, either directly by loaning or indirectly through capital markets. A bank is the connection between customers that have capital deficits and customers with capital surpluses.
Read more about Bank.
Some articles on bank:
... Xiamen International Bank (XIB) (simplified Chinese 厦门国际银行 traditional Chinese 廈門國際銀行 pinyin Xiàmén Guójì Yínháng) was established in August 1985 ...
More definitions of "bank":
- (noun): A container (usually with a slot in the top) for keeping money at home.
Example: "The coin bank was empty"
Synonyms: savings bank, coin bank, money box
- (verb): Cover with ashes so to control the rate of burning.
Example: "Bank a fire"
- (noun): A supply or stock held in reserve for future use (especially in emergencies).
- (verb): Act as the banker in a game or in gambling.
- (noun): Sloping land (especially the slope beside a body of water).
Example: "They pulled the canoe up on the bank"; "he sat on the bank of the river and watched the currents"
- (noun): The funds held by a gambling house or the dealer in some gambling games.
Example: "He tried to break the bank at Monte Carlo"
- (verb): Have confidence or faith in.
Example: "Bank on your good education"
Synonyms: trust, swear, rely
- (noun): An arrangement of similar objects in a row or in tiers.
Example: "He operated a bank of switches"
- (noun): A building in which commercial banking is transacted.
Example: "The bank is on the corner of Nassau and Witherspoon"
Synonyms: bank building
- (verb): Enclose with a bank.
Example: "Bank roads"
- (verb): Put into a bank account.
- (noun): A slope in the turn of a road or track; the outside is higher than the inside in order to reduce the effects of centrifugal force.
Synonyms: cant, camber
- (verb): Tip laterally.
Example: "The pilot had to bank the aircraft"
- (noun): A flight maneuver; aircraft tips laterally about its longitudinal axis (especially in turning).
Example: "The plane went into a steep bank"
- (noun): A long ridge or pile.
Example: "A huge bank of earth"
- (noun): A financial institution that accepts deposits and channels the money into lending activities.
Example: "He cashed a check at the bank"; "that bank holds the mortgage on my home"
Synonyms: depository financial institution, banking concern, banking company
- (verb): Do business with a bank or keep an account at a bank.
Example: "Where do you bank in this town?"
Famous quotes containing the word bank:
“The English language is like a broad river on whose bank a few patient anglers are sitting, while, higher up, the stream is being polluted by a string of refuse-barges tipping out their muck.”
—Cyril Connolly (19031974)
“It was like passing a boundary to dive
Into the sun-filled water, brightly leafed
And limbed and lighted out from bank to bank.
Thats how the stars shine during the day.”
—Wallace Stevens (18791955)
“on a May morwening upon Malverne hilles
Me befel a ferly, of fairye me thoughte;
I was wery ofwandred and wente me to reste
Under a brod bank by a bournes side;
And as I lay and lenede and lookede on the watres,
I slomerede into a sleeping, it swyede so merye.”
—William Langland (13301400)