Turf may refer to:
- A colloquialism for the world of horse racing
- see Turf Club (disambiguation) for examples
- Lawn, an area of grass maintained for decorative or recreational use
- Golf course turf and other manicured sporting greens
- Sod, the surface layer of ground consisting of a mat of grass and grass roots, sometimes used as a construction material
- Artificial turf, a man-made surface manufactured from synthetic materials, made to look like natural grass
- Slang for territory, or area of jurisdiction or influence, particularly of gangs (see turf war) and as exercised by a unit within a bureaucracy
- Peat used for fuel
- Turf Tavern, a public house in Oxford, England
- Turf Hotel, a public house at the Racecourse Ground in Wrexham, Wales
- TURF Analysis, a statistical method (acronym for total unduplicated reach and frequency)
- Turf (comics), a number of comics-related items
Other articles related to "turf":
... The good drainage that sand-based systems exhibit also offer the turf manager better control over soil water content ... The good drainage of a sand-based system allows turf managers better control over their irrigation ... Once the turf manager learns how his/her field drains, they will know, fairly accurately, when the field will need water ...
... In modern turf roof construction, bitumen roofing felt combined with dimpled plastic drainage membranes are usually used in place of birch bark ... The turf is then laid over this drainage layer ...
... Poly-Turf was a brand of artificial turf, manufactured by American Biltrite of Wellesley, Massachusetts ... for its artificial grass blades, rather than the nylon used in AstroTurf and 3M's Tartan Turf ...
... The same fungus also causes "brown ring patch" in turf grasses ... is the cause of "red thread" disease in turf grass, whilst Limonomyces roseipellis is the cause of "pink patch" disease ...
... Contested on turf over a left-handed course, the domestic Group One race is run over a distance 2000 meters (1.24 miles / 10 furlongs) and is open to four-year-old horses only ... The Singapore Derby was revived in 1959 under the auspices of the Singapore Turf Club and hosted by the Bukit Timah Race Course through 1999 when the track was closed to be replaced by ... These residency conditions are specified on the Singapore Turf Club website ...
Famous quotes containing the word turf:
“Lie lightly on her, turf and dew:
She put so little weight on you.”
—Marcus Valerius Martial (c. 40104)
“Oh! snatchd away in beautys bloom,
On thee shall press no ponderous tomb;
But on thy turf shall roses rear
Their leaves, the earliest of the year;”
—George Gordon Noel Byron (17881824)
“One turf shall serve as pillow for us both;
One heart, one bed, two bosoms, and one troth.”
—William Shakespeare (15641616)