A state legislature is a legislative branch or body of a political subdivision in a federal system.
The following legislatures exist in the following political subdivisions:
- The legislative branches of each of the fifty state governments of the United States are known as state legislatures. Six territorial legislatures also exist.
- The legislative branches of the six states of Australia are known as state parliaments. In addition, two territorial parliaments exist.
- The legislative branches of the States of Brazil.
- The legislative branches of the States of India Vidhan Sabha and Vidhan Parishad.
- The legislative branches of the ten provinces of Canada are known as provincial legislative assemblies. Three territorial legislatures also exist.
- The legislative branches of the thirteen states of Malaysia are known as the state assemblies.
- The legislative branches of the sixteen states of Germany and the nine states of Austria are known as the Landtag.
- The central legislative body of any country that refers to itself by the term "state".
Other articles related to "state legislature, states, state":
... Senator Ernie Chambers proposed a controversial school separation plan for Omaha in the Nebraska State Legislature in response to concerns by suburban districts outside Omaha ... The state legislature was interested in seeking a way to use suburban districts to help integrate the city's schools ... The State Legislature signed this plan into law in April, 2006, with the plan going into effect in 2008 ...
... the first African American elected to the Nebraska State Legislature, and was the acknowledged leader of the African-American community in Omaha ... In 1970 Ernie Chambers became the city's second African American elected to the state legislature ... In 2005 the Nebraska State Legislature approved a term limit law limiting legislators to two terms, forcing Chambers from office in 2008 ...
... This is a list of the 57th Utah State Legislature Standing Committees and Appropriations Subcommittees ... The 57th Utah State Legislature began on Monday, January 15, 2007 ...
... the first Asian American governor in the United States when he was elected Governor of Hawaii in 1974 ... Asera, first Filipino American elected in the continental United States Kumar Barve became the first Indian-American in U.S ... history elected to a state legislative body in 1990 and currently serves as the Majority Leader of the Maryland House of Delegates ...
... goal of his presidency would be to enhance PEF's legislative efforts in the state capital ... Brynien and the union confronted a state proposal to close or merge several state-owned hospitals and other health care facilities during his first year in ... A state commission first proposed the plan in November 2006 ...
Famous quotes containing the words legislature and/or state:
“It seemed monstrous to our intolerant youth that poor white folksy men should have an equal right with gentlemen, born and bred, in deciding who should represent the county in the Legislature and the district in Congress.”
—Marion Harland (18301922)
“The structure was designed by an old sea captain who believed that the world would end in a flood. He built a home in the traditional shape of the Ark, inverted, with the roof forming the hull of the proposed vessel. The builder expected that the deluge would cause the house to topple and then reverse itself, floating away on its roof until it should land on some new Ararat.”
—For the State of New Jersey, U.S. public relief program (1935-1943)