A state legislature is a legislative branch or body of a political subdivision in a federal system.
The following legislatures exist in the following political subdivisions:
- The legislative branches of each of the fifty state governments of the United States are known as state legislatures. Six territorial legislatures also exist.
- The legislative branches of the six states of Australia are known as state parliaments. In addition, two territorial parliaments exist.
- The legislative branches of the States of Brazil.
- The legislative branches of the States of India Vidhan Sabha and Vidhan Parishad.
- The legislative branches of the ten provinces of Canada are known as provincial legislative assemblies. Three territorial legislatures also exist.
- The legislative branches of the thirteen states of Malaysia are known as the state assemblies.
- The legislative branches of the sixteen states of Germany and the nine states of Austria are known as the Landtag.
- The central legislative body of any country that refers to itself by the term "state".
Other articles related to "states, state, state legislature":
... George Ariyoshi became the first Asian American governor in the United States when he was elected Governor of Hawaii in 1974 ... Larry Asera, first Filipino American elected in the continental United States Kumar Barve became the first Indian-American in U.S ... history elected to a state legislative body in 1990 and currently serves as the Majority Leader of the Maryland House of Delegates ...
... be to enhance PEF's legislative efforts in the state capital ... Brynien and the union confronted a state proposal to close or merge several state-owned hospitals and other health care facilities during his first year in office ... A state commission first proposed the plan in November 2006 ...
... African American elected to the Nebraska State Legislature, and was the acknowledged leader of the African-American community in Omaha ... became the city's second African American elected to the state legislature ... In 2005 the Nebraska State Legislature approved a term limit law limiting legislators to two terms, forcing Chambers from office in 2008 ...
... school separation plan for Omaha in the Nebraska State Legislature in response to concerns by suburban districts outside Omaha boundaries ... The state legislature was interested in seeking a way to use suburban districts to help integrate the city's schools ... The State Legislature signed this plan into law in April, 2006, with the plan going into effect in 2008 ...
... This is a list of the 57th Utah State Legislature Standing Committees and Appropriations Subcommittees ... The 57th Utah State Legislature began on Monday, January 15, 2007 ...
Famous quotes containing the words legislature and/or state:
“An ... important antidote to American democracy is American gerontocracy. The positions of eminence and authority in Congress are allotted in accordance with length of service, regardless of quality. Superficial observers have long criticized the United States for making a fetish of youth. This is unfair. Uniquely among modern organs of public and private administration, its national legislature rewards senility.”
—John Kenneth Galbraith (b. 1908)
“The law of nature is alternation for evermore. Each electrical state superinduces the opposite. The soul environs itself with friends, that it may enter into a grander self-acquaintance or solitude; and it goes alone for a season, that it may exalt its conversation or society.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (18031882)