Settlement may refer to:
- Consolidation (soil), a process by which soils decrease in volume
- Human settlement, a community where people live
- Plantation (settlement or colony), an early method of colonization
- Israeli settlement, communities inhabited by Israeli Jews in territory that came under Israel's control as a result of the 1967 Six-Day War
- Urban settlement (disambiguation)
- Rural settlement
- Urban-type settlement
- Settlement (closing), as in a real estate closing with transfer of title deed to the buyer
- Settlement (finance), the process of exchanging the consideration for financial instruments once a transaction has been executed
- Settlement (structural), the gradual distortions created in a structure
- Legal terms
- Settlement (litigation), an agreement or resolution of a dispute
- Settlement under the Poor Law, a person's place of origin or later established residence, being the Parish responsible for the person if destitute
- Settlement (trust), an instrument creating a trust
- Structured settlement, a financial or insurance agreement involving a structure of periodic payments to pay a debt such as tax liability
Other articles related to "settlement, settlements":
... The first settlement at this location was mentioned in 1848 and its name was Neu Ilof ... It was a settlement for workers that worked in the nearby estate whose last owner was count Kotek ... The modern settlement was founded in 1918 as a settlement for Serb veterans from World War I ...
... the mouth of the Tagus River attracted early settlement to this region ... The rugged hilltops of the interior conditioned cultivation and allowed the settlement of several small agricultural castros within the regions limits, such as Castro ... This archaeological site is a witness to the early settlements and defensive structures that developed during the Calcolithic period, although ...
... ex-husband, Alexander Zdrok, sued her for monetary damages under their 1996 divorce property settlement, in which Victoria agreed to pay Alexander 15% of ... Victoria claimed the settlement was invalid, and sought to seal the trial, but the court declined to do so ... named Penthouse Pet of the Year, Alexander Zdrok again sued to overturn the most recent settlement ...
... It is therefore unclear whether a permanent settlement existed at that time ... The first known settlement from the Early Helladic period (3000-2000 BC) was located in the plain ... This settlement was moved to the top of the Acropolis in the Middle Helladic period (2000-1600 BC), because the plain was flooded by the nearby lagoon ...
... to the Sagas of Icelanders, he established a Norse settlement at Vinland, tentatively identified with the Norse L'Anse aux Meadows on the northern tip of Newfoundland in modern ... at the family estate Brattahlíð in the so-called Eastern Settlement, where Leif had his upbringing ... who succeeded Leif as chieftain of the Greenland settlement ...
Famous quotes containing the word settlement:
“... if the Settlement seeks its expression through social activity, it must learn the difference between mere social unrest and spiritual impulse.”
—Jane Addams (18601935)
“The Settlement ... is an experimental effort to aid in the solution of the social and industrial problems which are engendered by the modern conditions of life in a great city. It insists that these problems are not confined to any one portion of the city. It is an attempt to relieve, at the same time, the overaccumulation at one end of society and the destitution at the other ...”
—Jane Addams (18601935)
“Before I get through with you, you will have a clear case for divorce and so will my wife. Now, the first thing to do is arrange for a settlement. You take the children, your husband takes the house, Junior burns down the house, you take the insurance and I take you!”
—S.J. Perelman, U.S. screenwriter, Arthur Sheekman, Will Johnstone, and Norman Z. McLeod. Groucho Marx, Monkey Business, terms for a divorce settlement proposed while trying to woo Lucille Briggs (Thelma Todd)