Settlement may refer to:
- Consolidation (soil), a process by which soils decrease in volume
- Human settlement, a community where people live
- Plantation (settlement or colony), an early method of colonization
- Israeli settlement, communities inhabited by Israeli Jews in territory that came under Israel's control as a result of the 1967 Six-Day War
- Urban settlement (disambiguation)
- Rural settlement
- Urban-type settlement
- Settlement (closing), as in a real estate closing with transfer of title deed to the buyer
- Settlement (finance), the process of exchanging the consideration for financial instruments once a transaction has been executed
- Settlement (structural), the gradual distortions created in a structure
- Legal terms
- Settlement (litigation), an agreement or resolution of a dispute
- Settlement under the Poor Law, a person's place of origin or later established residence, being the Parish responsible for the person if destitute
- Settlement (trust), an instrument creating a trust
- Structured settlement, a financial or insurance agreement involving a structure of periodic payments to pay a debt such as tax liability
Other articles related to "settlement, settlements":
... privileged location at the mouth of the Tagus River attracted early settlement to this region ... The rugged hilltops of the interior conditioned cultivation and allowed the settlement of several small agricultural castros within the regions limits, such as Castro of Leceia (which was classified in 1963 as a ... This archaeological site is a witness to the early settlements and defensive structures that developed during the Calcolithic period, although Paleolithic camps ...
... damages under their 1996 divorce property settlement, in which Victoria agreed to pay Alexander 15% of earnings from her work for the next decade ... Victoria claimed the settlement was invalid, and sought to seal the trial, but the court declined to do so ... Year, Alexander Zdrok again sued to overturn the most recent settlement ...
... to the Sagas of Icelanders, he established a Norse settlement at Vinland, tentatively identified with the Norse L'Anse aux Meadows on the northern tip of Newfoundland in modern-day Canada ... Brattahlíð in the so-called Eastern Settlement, where Leif had his upbringing ... and Thorkell, who succeeded Leif as chieftain of the Greenland settlement ...
... The first settlement at this location was mentioned in 1848 and its name was Neu Ilof ... It was a settlement for workers that worked in the nearby estate whose last owner was count Kotek ... The modern settlement was founded in 1918 as a settlement for Serb veterans from World War I ...
... It is therefore unclear whether a permanent settlement existed at that time ... The first known settlement from the Early Helladic period (3000-2000 BC) was located in the plain ... This settlement was moved to the top of the Acropolis in the Middle Helladic period (2000-1600 BC), because the plain was flooded by the nearby lagoon ...
Famous quotes containing the word settlement:
“I always consider the settlement of America with reverence and wonder, as the opening of a grand scene and design in providence, for the illumination of the ignorant and the emancipation of the slavish part of mankind all over the earth.”
—John Adams (17351826)
“The difficult and risky task of meeting and mastering the newwhether it be the settlement of new lands or the initiation of new ways of lifeis not undertaken by the vanguard of society but by its rear. It is the misfits, failures, fugitives, outcasts and their like who are among the first to grapple with the new.”
—Eric Hoffer (19021983)
“The Puritans, to keep the remembrance of their unity one with another, and of their peaceful compact with the Indians, named their forest settlement CONCORD.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (18031882)