Primary may refer to:
- Primary (astronomy), the larger of two co-orbiting bodies
- Primary mirror, principal light-gathering surface of a reflecting telescope
- Primary (band), from Australia
- Primary circuit, electrical circuit in a transformer that receives current, as opposed to secondary circuit
- Primary election, an election by which a political party selects and nominates a candidate
- Power line, electric power transmission line fed to or from a transformer
- Primary (film), 1960 documentary
- Primary (LDS Church), children's Sunday School organization
- "Primary" (song), by The Cure
- Primary, the oldest period in the Geologic time scale (obsolete)
- "Primary", a song by Spoon from the album Telephono
- Primaries, remiges (wing feathers) in birds
- Primaries or primary beams, in E. E. Smith's science-fiction series Lensman
- The first stage in a thermonuclear explosive, may also be used alone in a lower-yield nuclear explosive, see nuclear weapon design
Other articles related to "primary":
... any candidate from either party in Adair County during the 2008 presidential primary ... Adair County, Missouri 2008 Republican primary in Missouri John McCain 558 (29.00%) Mike Huckabee 735 (38.20%) Mitt Romney 451 (23.44%) Ron Paul 158 (8.21%) Adair County, Missouri 2008 ...
... The succeeding phase of ootidogenesis occurs when the primary oocyte develops into an ootid ... In fact, a primary oocyte is, by its biological definition, a cell whose primary function is to divide by the process of meiosis ... In late fetal life, all oocytes, still primary oocytes, have halted at this stage of development, called the dictyate ...
... ALP = Australian Labor Party, L+NP = grouping of Liberal/National/LNP/CLP Coalition Parties (and predecessors), Oth = other parties and independents ... House of Representatives results and polling Primary vote TPP vote Seats ALP L+NP Oth ...
... Hazelwood Primary School Firs Farm Primary Oakthorpe Primary Palmers Green High School (Independent) St Michael at Bowes CE Junior Tottenhall Infant St Monica's RC Primary St Anne's ...
... of Altay Prefecture Bakhtu (巴克图), 17 km from Tacheng another primary point or port Dulat (都拉塔), in Qapqal Xibe Autonomous County under Ili Jeminay ...
Famous quotes containing the word primary:
“If the accumulated wealth of the past generations is thus tainted,no matter how much of it is offered to us,we must begin to consider if it were not the nobler part to renounce it, and to put ourselves in primary relations with the soil and nature, and abstaining from whatever is dishonest and unclean, to take each of us bravely his part, with his own hands, in the manual labor of the world.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (18031882)
“A primary function of art and thought is to liberate the individual from the tyranny of his culture in the environmental sense and to permit him to stand beyond it in an autonomy of perception and judgment.”
—Lionel Trilling (19051975)
“The primary function of myth is to validate an existing social order. Myth enshrines conservative social values, raising tradition on a pedestal. It expresses and confirms, rather than explains or questions, the sources of cultural attitudes and values.... Because myth anchors the present in the past it is a sociological charter for a future society which is an exact replica of the present one.”
—Ann Oakley (b. 1944)