Chronological List of Popes (assassinated Because of Defending The Faith)
- This list is incomplete; you can help by expanding it.
- Saint Peter (64/67), traditionally martyred by crucifixion.
- Saint Anacletus (88).
- Saint Sixtus I (125), traditionally martyred.
- Saint Hyginus (142), traditionally martyred.
- Saint Pius I (155), by sword.
- Saint Anicetus (166), traditionally martyred.
- Saint Soter (175), traditionally martyred.
- Saint Eleuterus (189), traditionally martyred.
- Saint Callixtus I (223).
- Saint Fabian (250).
- Saint Cornelius (253).
- Saint Stephen I (257).
- Saint Sixtus II (258).
- Saint Martin I (655).
Read more about this topic: List Of Murdered Popes
Famous quotes containing the words defending, popes and/or list:
“When I tell any truth it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those who do.”
—William Blake (17571827)
“What is wrong with priests and popes is that instead of being apostles and saints, they are nothing but empirics who say I know instead of I am learning, and pray for credulity and inertia as wise men pray for scepticism and activity.”
—George Bernard Shaw (18561950)
“All is possible,
Who so list believe;
Trust therefore first, and after preve,
As men wed ladies by license and leave,
All is possible.”
—Sir Thomas Wyatt (1503?1542)