- Czechoslovakia - split into Czech Republic and Slovak Republic, Czech Republic is the sole successor and carried the old records with it
- East Germany - merged into West Germany; West Germany assumes the records of a unified Germany team
- Serbia and Montenegro - successor of Yugoslavia; FIBA recognizes Serbia as the sole successor and attributes all records to it. Montenegro is descended from Serbia and Montenegro.
- South Vietnam - merged into North Vietnam; North Vietnam assumes the records of a unified Vietnam team
- South Yemen - merged into North Yemen; North Yemen assumes the records of a unified Yemen team
- Soviet Union - split into 15 different national teams; FIBA recognizes Russia as the sole successor although the records achieved doesn't carry over. Other national teams descended from Soviet Union are:
- The three Baltic states and Russia which played international basketball prior to 1945 inherited their old records prior to being merged with Soviet Union:
- The Unified Team (a.k.a. the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) team) for the 1992 Summer Olympics was a one-off team.
- United Arab Republic - merged from Egypt and Syria; FIBA recognizes Egypt as the sole successor when Syria seceded; Syria retained their old records.
- Yugoslavia - FIBA recognizes Serbia and Montenegro as the sole successor although the records achieved doesn't carry over. Other national teams descended from Yugoslavia are:
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Montenegro - from Serbia and Montenegro
- Serbia - from Serbia and Montenegro
- Netherlands Antilles
Read more about this topic: List Of Men's National Basketball Teams
Other articles related to "defunct teams, team":
... Team City Existed Grey Cups Notes Atlantic Schooners Halifax, Nova Scotia 0 ... Never played a game ...
... Defunct Teams Team Ballpark Years Used Capacity Opened City Bristol Nighthawks Muzzy Field 1994-1995 4,900 1939 Bristol, CT Central Mass Collegians Doyle Field 1995 ...
... another stint from 1998-2001 (January) in which the team was called the Mohawk Valley Prowlers ...
... As the team transitioned into Raymond James Stadium for 1999, however, poor personnel moves (including the trading away of both Valderrama and Lassiter) led to decreased win totals ...
... Listed after the team name is the name of the affiliated league(s) when the team competed for the Stanley Cup ... A bolded year denotes a Stanley Cup win Appearances Team Wins Losses Win % Years of Appearance 5 Ottawa Senators 1..800 1915, 1920, 1921, 1923, 4 ... Vancouver Millionaires 3..250 1915, 1918, 1921 ... It is not considered a loss by either team ...
Famous quotes containing the words teams and/or defunct:
“A sturdy lad from New Hampshire or Vermont who in turn tries all the professions, who teams it, farms it, peddles, keeps a school, preaches, edits a newspaper, goes to Congress, buys a township, and so forth, in successive years, and always like a cat falls on his feet, is worth a hundred of these city dolls. He walks abreast with his days and feels no shame in not studying a profession, for he does not postpone his life, but lives already.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (18031882)
“The consciousness of being deemed dead, is next to the presumable unpleasantness of being so in reality. One feels like his own ghost unlawfully tenanting a defunct carcass.”
—Herman Melville (18191891)